Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $63837.37

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Zab
    Guess I'll get one of these :

"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord, for thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand. Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_AtUXdXA_s

Are you using the router in conjunction with a cable or dsl modem?....... If you are it is possible that the modem and the router have the same IP address preventing you from having access to the router configuration settings. If that is the case you will have to change the IP address of the router.

To find out if they have the same IP address: you will have to run a command prompt (cmd) and enter the ipconfig/all command, once with the router hooked up and once with just the modem without the router hooked up. If you see that the gateway is the same IP address: usually something like 192.168.2.1 then you know you are having this issue.

PokerOwned Demi-God
    I want 1k pts for telling you to buy a new router....do you know how they work?

PokerOwned Veteran
    One possible issue. Cabling.

Look at your cables and see if they say UTP or STP on them. If they are UTP you could be having cross talk issues.

If that is the case you want to separate the cables, try to remove tangles, loops, overlaps or just go buy STP cables.

Whenever I try to troubleshoot network issues it is best to logically find the source of the problem. Use multiple devices and keep all variables fixed but one. Eliminate each possibility one at a time.

If you have 2 laptops you take them to the same place in the house and run a speed test on both of them. If one is drastically different then the problem is probably with the laptop. If both are bad then it is probably with the router.

Then if possible move the laptops around the house and keep router in fixed position. Run speed tests.
    Then keep laptops in fixed positions and move router around. Even just a foot higher or to the side. Run speed test.

After you move everything everywhere and the results stay the same then I go into the routers firewall and start looking at problems. Are there errors.

You just take things one step at a time.

By the way. Is your Router secured. Is there a password for your devices to access it.
    If not the speed problems could be your neighbors enjoying the free Internet you are giving them

Zab
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonv12 View Post
    Are you using the router in conjunction with a cable or dsl modem?....... If you are it is possible that the modem and the router have the same IP address preventing you from having access to the router configuration settings. If that is the case you will have to change the IP address of the router.

To find out if they have the same IP address: you will have to run a command prompt (cmd) and enter the ipconfig/all command, once with the router hooked up and once with just the modem without the router hooked up. If you see that the gateway is the same IP address: usually something like 192.168.2.1 then you know you are having this issue.
    sent you a PM
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand. Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.

Zab
    Quote Originally Posted by Invertedafro View Post
    I want 1k pts for telling you to buy a new router....do you know how they work?
    If that works I'll send you 1k pts

Zab
    Quote Originally Posted by deedbr View Post
    One possible issue. Cabling.

Look at your cables and see if they say UTP or STP on them. If they are UTP you could be having cross talk issues.

If that is the case you want to separate the cables, try to remove tangles, loops, overlaps or just go buy STP cables.

Whenever I try to troubleshoot network issues it is best to logically find the source of the problem. Use multiple devices and keep all variables fixed but one. Eliminate each possibility one at a time.

If you have 2 laptops you take them to the same place in the house and run a speed test on both of them. If one is drastically different then the problem is probably with the laptop. If both are bad then it is probably with the router.

Then if possible move the laptops around the house and keep router in fixed position. Run speed tests.
    Then keep laptops in fixed positions and move router around. Even just a foot higher or to the side. Run speed test.

After you move everything everywhere and the results stay the same then I go into the routers firewall and start looking at problems. Are there errors.

You just take things one step at a time.

By the way. Is your Router secured. Is there a password for your devices to access it.
    If not the speed problems could be your neighbors enjoying the free Internet you are giving them

Secured router.. I'll check the cables out.. Im sure I have a mix n match

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Guess I'll get one of these :

Zab my main concern is you saying everything is showing connected even though the devices are powered off. Depending on the internet provider, you may not need to do this yourself. I have fiber optic and my provider covers all inside wire maintenance. The Belkin is a good router, you may benefit with a wireless amplifier, but I would wait until the tech comes out if you have inside wire maintenance so they can have more of a hands on approach and could pinpoint & diagnose your issue much easier. I had the same issue and the tech ended up running everything a lot differently. With as many devices you have, I would assume you have speeds up to 25 megs to run all of the machines you need to. I would first try to get on devices that are not being used like your iPad and any other device that shows connected that you are not using and manually disconnect them from your WiFi. This sounds like a bandwidth issue, hard to diagnose without seeing the setup, that is why I would recommend you call for a tech to come out and fix it. depending on your internet provider, you may get free inside wire maintenance. Let me know if this helps, I have a friend at work that is over our IT dept. if nothing on this thread helps. I would definitely rule out your options before you spend any money out of pocket.
    Last edited by NateVest; 06-29-2013 at 12:16 PM.

you have tried to use a signal amplifier or anything of the sort? I use to have a similar issue with a Linksys router - it was broadcasting weak signlas and unless I was pretty much right on top of it I experienced the same issues. Layout of your house etc and were you are trying to connect as an access point could also be an issue. I'd also try updating all your drivers etc for the modem/router and your laptop/pc wifi-card or maybe even do a system-restore to a point before this issue started occurring.

PokerOwned Veteran ChipEaterMan's Avatar
    I'll solve your issue for 2000 points

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast