Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $64149.98

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: chess

Chess is great, my Dad taught me when I was 6 yrs old. He used to say he taught me everything I know, but he didn't teach me everything he knows. I was 17 before I was able to beat him. When I was in 6th grade 2 of the teachers would want me stay in during recess to play them , I used to beat them more often than not, poor guys. But I did get to go outside and play after for a few, but some games lasted 2 or 3 days worth of recesses.. ugh....
    22:52 <onehotdame> pull my finger
    02:51 <onehotdame> ill miss u when u go
    14:53 <onehotdame> gotta callthePOD people
    12/17/2014 16:29 <onehotdame> your a bit of an ass when yo high

Seasoned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MichMan View Post
    Chess is great, my Dad taught me when I was 6 yrs old. He used to say he taught me everything I know, but he didn't teach me everything he knows. I was 17 before I was able to beat him. When I was in 6th grade 2 of the teachers would want me stay in during recess to play them , I used to beat them more often than not, poor guys. But I did get to go outside and play after for a few, but some games lasted 2 or 3 days worth of recesses.. ugh....
    that must have done wonders for your popularity

That reminds me- My Dad and I learned how to play at the same time, when I was 8. Within a couple of weeks I would beat him consistently, so they started me on lessons with a local master. One of the books he assigned to me as homework was a puzzle book called How to Beat Your Dad at Chess. I hated reading chess books back then and I would always tell him I didn't need to read it because I could already beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennnnelG View Post
    that must have done wonders for your popularity

That reminds me- My Dad and I learned how to play at the same time, when I was 8. Within a couple of weeks I would beat him consistently, so they started me on lessons with a local master. One of the books he assigned to me as homework was a puzzle book called How to Beat Your Dad at Chess. I hated reading chess books back then and I would always tell him I didn't need to read it because I could already beat him.

Actually the other kids thought it was funny the teachers couldnt beat me.

And my dad had at least 25 yrs exp on me when he taught me...
    22:52 <onehotdame> pull my finger
    02:51 <onehotdame> ill miss u when u go
    14:53 <onehotdame> gotta callthePOD people
    12/17/2014 16:29 <onehotdame> your a bit of an ass when yo high

I used to play it all the time when I was younger. I remember at my elementary they had an after school program for kids who would have to wait for their parents to get off work so I used to play one of the after school teachers there and man was he good. He taught me a lot about the game. After that my interest grew and my mom would take me downtown to this rec center once a week and let me play some of the older folks that would be down there. They had like a chess league or something... I always had this dream that I would become better than Bobby Fischer himself lol.

Such simpler times. I guess I lost interest in it after awhile. But I'll play it online once in a blue moon.

Seasoned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MichMan View Post
    Actually the other kids thought it was funny the teachers couldnt beat me.

And my dad had at least 25 yrs exp on me when he taught me...
    sounds like you needed to read How to Beat Your Dad at Chess! Was your dad a tournament player?

Seasoned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by WojTek View Post
    I used to play it all the time when I was younger. I remember at my elementary they had an after school program for kids who would have to wait for their parents to get off work so I used to play one of the after school teachers there and man was he good. He taught me a lot about the game. After that my interest grew and my mom would take me downtown to this rec center once a week and let me play some of the older folks that would be down there. They had like a chess league or something... I always had this dream that I would become better than Bobby Fischer himself lol.

Such simpler times. I guess I lost interest in it after awhile. But I'll play it online once in a blue moon.
    lol i had this corny dream that i would someday become a GM and go to iceland and play chess with fischer and he would impart upon me his chess wisdom, i am nowhere near GM and he is dead now anyways

PokerOwned God
    Chess can be fun to play. But, playing at such a high level is something I really haven't done before.

Take a look at Chessboxing - a legit sport in Germany that has alternating rounds of Chess and Boxing.

PokerOwned Veteran
    I love chess but I fear its slowly getting lost, and thats sad

Seasoned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jcla6985 View Post
    I love chess but I fear its slowly getting lost, and thats sad
    thats what people have been saying forever, but its surviving

also there is always Chess960 if classical chess gets too stale

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast