Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $63061.02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Veteran

Working up a bankroll

Hi, I'm just learning the game and I'm trying to learn how to properly C-bet, play ABC poker when I need to, and control my emotions at the table. I can only really deposit 15-20$ at a time, and was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to build up a bankroll with such a small amount of money to play with. I am fairly good at sit and goes and probably win 2/3 that I play. Past this though, any BR management tips or tables/games I should be playing, to work this up to 50-100$? Or should I just save up the 20$ or so a month/2 months that I can get, and wait until I have 100$ or so to play, and only play freerolls in the meantime?

PokerOwned Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberiussilver View Post
    I am fairly good at sit and goes and probably win 2/3 that I play.
    I call.

PokerOwned Demi-God
    stick with the small sit and gos. Just till you can get a better handle on the game. Continue to read up on strategy and play and just stick with the freerolls and small sit and gos untill u have the proper br. gl to u

I'm pretty fresh myself but I would say play micro-stakes, buy-in with 100 big blinds, and have about 10-25 buy-ins in your bank roll. I feel like thats what I've come across reading.

PokerOwned Master
    It is up to you. If you are good on sit&go's, than play them all the way until you get higher BR. Keep in mind that you need to have at least 25-50 buy-ins to play comfortable at the table! So no hurry up!

Library Master Champion eqgh5uea's Avatar
    1post... No dice
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours; two ships, two brigs, one schooner and one sloop." --- O.H. Perry

I always thought that Fergusons bankroll rules were always pretty solid. He pretty well covers all aspects of proper BR management.

Seasoned Veteran
    I think your strategy to build up a bankroll is greatly affected by your skill. There are definitely many aspects to take into account such as your skill, the ability to reload. I am putting the ability to reload because not everybody is ok starting from freerolls. I would even say playing those freerolls too much can be detrimental to your game if you dont adjust when playing bigger games.

If you want to start from scratch i definitely like the SNG. Back in the days i had a bankroll and i just experimented for fun. I started on everest poker and they has those small stakes sng. I went from 0 to 4 digits pretty quickly. In the case you dont want to reload you have to grind the first level or keep playing those freeroll + lowest sng till you have the numbers buy in you want to be safe. At the time i was playing 20 was plenty at those levels but the gap of skill seems to have shrinked quiet a bit so a bigger bankroll is probably in order.

PokerOwned God
    If your bankroll is so small, stick with small sngs and penny games. You probably won't make that much money, but you can build up.

Seasoned Veteran
    At the surface, one could say stick with what works and what you seem to enjoy, i.e., SNGs. If it works, don't break it just yet. However, one thing to consider is that micro stakes ring games have a better hourly rate of return at that level IF you know how to play them and have lower variance.

Thus, if you know how to play deep stacked poker in the ultra micros, do that. General steps I'd say:

1. Read read read! Learn to play cash games as well as SNG tournaments
    2. If you swap to ring games, minimum 20x buyin roll, preferably 50. Stay at the micros with your $20 level until you can grind up
    3. Take max advantage of all promotions, bonuses, freerolls, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast