Originally Posted by kingkowboys View Post
The triple range merge comes into play when you believe your opponent has 3 possibilities for hand strength. He can have Strong/Nut hands, nothing at all, or a medium strength hand. You would want to employ a triple range merge if you believe that an opponent has not demonstrated absolute strength and you hold a hand that is medium/strong. The given hand in the OP is a bad example of when to use this strategy. A better example would be when you hold KQ on a AsKd7d2c4h board. You may be facing someone with top pair, 2 pair, or a set. They could also hold a worse K or have a pocket pair QQ or less without making a set, or bottom pair. They then could also have air with a busted flush draw.

In that scenario you would want to merge all of those ranges and disguise a bet that could either be for value or a bluff. I would say somewhere around a 1/2-2/3 pot bet would be good. You could be called by worse, you could get a fold from a weak A, or you could be called by Top pair. The key to this is balance and the action that came before the river. Betting the flop and checking the turn by your opponent would warrant this play. He has shown some strength, but not enough to double barrel. That means you could get him off an A. It's all about balance in this spot and mixing up your play. It's a step beyond a polarized range of strong and weak.

Quote Originally Posted by donny111 View Post
thx for trying to clarify, overall this just seems like a stupid fancy term for balancing your range/value betting/deception. whoever came up with this term is stupid. To my opponent in that scenario u keep triple range merging with trips on a 4 flush board and ill keep taking your $!
lol. It seems useful but there is so much else to learn as well this gets a lower priority for myself. I think if ranging was mastered 1st, then this would be much more helpful then as some random beginners post.