Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $63650.7

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Interesting stuff so far. I seem to be getting the general consensus that I am just way to concerned about the what-if and also that I need to start exerting more strength in my poker play. I have almost always used a 3xBB standard mostly because it was one of the first poker-related tips I ever received.

Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming and good luck out there

Didnt really read all all the replies. If its early stahes you are playing pretty deep so dont really need to shove pre. Especially if you consider that your opponets arent going to fold A10-AK, which happens from time to time. It may be better off to flat it and see a flop. As you are playing deep if its not a scary board and its raised to you, You can re raise and see where you stand. Plus the great scenario of a K high flop you are getting paid by AA. Then theres also the way that AK-A10 will fold on a non A flop. Whereas if you get all in pre that A might come on turn or river.

You said it was early stages so by no means are you in any need for a double up. I cant fault you for going all in pre with KK as you are only beaten by 1 hand. But i find it a common problem, myself included that you almost are sure by the betting you are up against AA but still in some sense do a spite shove or spite call only to see your read was correct. Dont get me wrong folding KK preflop is never a profitable play. But just because you have KK doesnt mean you have to get it all in pre.

Elite PokerOwned Member
    As has been stated, your initial raise is your problem here. Unless you are one of these ever-min-raisers, which are inevitably losing players in the micros, then your smallest raise should be 3BB + 1 BB per limper. And that is the smallest. I tend to do 4BB until I am sure that it isn't a table of chasers. After that, everything is standard. He re-raised you min, because he wants you to stay in the hand while getting more money in. You have to fear his min re-raise could be AA, in which case you still have a 20% chance (your theory of being crippled or out is only 80% correct, as you will still win 20% of the time with KK vs AA). You go all-in which is always a good play with KK if you think you will get called. Seriously, usually you are a winner here, don't fret too much. As you move up stakes, I like Prawney's approach of flatting and seeing what the flop shows, but when there is no Ace which is highly likely since your opponent has 2 already, you are still going to lose a big part of your stack. It's not about how you played it or how you could have played it differently (although that might have helped here), it's about the fact that you were dealt KK when somebody else had AA. It happens and you are probably gonna lose money when it does.

Something tells me I should have been posting more questions here so I can improve my play. Thanks again! I need to learn how to play poker...

Knight-Lieutenant
    guys mtt are great on hero so many freerolls all day long go join if u can

Quote Originally Posted by gefishy View Post
    Something tells me I should have been posting more questions here so I can improve my play. Thanks again! I need to learn how to play poker...
    LOL you did well last night just shy of final table!! Advice is always a good way to improve, nice thread

20:58 <Poof> I would trade my husband for gisele
    18:37 <thepokerkid> @thepokerkid: and stop thinking about gay things

PokerOwned Master
    i think a large pre-flop raise with a caller or re-raise back to you would give you better info on the hand they have 3Xbb just doesnt really scare anybody

PokerOwned Master
    This is why poker is great, because there really isn't a RIGHT was to do something, but consider some things...
    -I agree a larger raise is nes. but even if you do the situation would be the same so that doesnt really help for this hand...
    -How deep are the stacks? Is it a Turbo? In a turbo tournament pushing may be a smaller mistake here...
    -If you push in this situation... what do you expect to call? Most premium hands in this spot will fold, especially early, and those who won't will almost certainly have A or worse AA... pushing pre doesnt seem like the best way to bring chips.

I think a call would be best, and then see what happens on the flop. Certainly a fold pre seems like a scared and foolish thing to do.

Sergeant
    agree, pushing with KK acceptable, if u wont shove with that hand, whats the point of playing tournaments,stick to cash games

PokerOwned Master
    Two schools of thought: 1) it's a cooler and you're suppose to get all the money in pre-flop. As bmeelneg said, in the long run it's the right move. 2) imo given the scenario early in tourney and not knowing how people play, i would have just called his 3-bet as you had position. with the button, you have much more control of the pot and can see how he's playing post flop. If he's willing to limp with AA pre-flop, I would assume he would try and slow play post if the flop wasn't too much of a threat to him. Guess what I'm trying to say is that given your position on the button you could have possibly gotten away from the Kings or not bust completely.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast