Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70874.75

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How can Merge grow?

In the current state of poker in the US, it seems we already have the short end of the stick. Unfortunately, even now, Merge's player base is getting smaller. OPR reports that in 2012 there were 71,434 who played at least 12 real money games. In 2013, the number plummeted to 44,739. This year, there have only been 14,919 people who have played 12 games (so far).

This trend looks awful and Merge's promos have gotten worse, rake seems to be trending upwards, and Merge's main focus seems to be in getting players to PLAY MORE, rather than to REACH OUT to more. I have to say, I don't really like this outlook and it clearly isn't working. Isn't reaching out to more people and getting them on board a better marketing strategy long term? Is there even a long term for these sites in the US? Are they more interested in making as many quick bucks as they can?

What do you guys think?

I think ALOT have quit playing there cause of the bs miracles along with terrible promos only rewarding the heavy grinders. But i guess it mimics real life. The poor players rarely get anything while they practically give the rich any and all bonuses they can.
    Failing to Prepare is Preparing to fail : John Wooden

I think you're right on, they need a new business plan. Also I heard they are going to be changing their points system once again.

I think also,, without the P2P ever coming back,, a lot stoppped really playing there, also. along with the 3 hours late reg , in some very smalll tourneys even,, and the weridd payouts u get now, in those same tourneys..

PokerOwned Veteran
    I tried out BCP earlier this year and haven't gone back except to play freerolls. Everything's better there imo. I hope Merge's VIP points decision drives players to WPN so we at least have a solid non-anonymous option. Until our government gets it together, there isn't a lot of incentive to change anything though. It's not hard to be #2 or #3 when the competition boots their good players or doesn't pay out. Hopefully we're not far from leaving this chapter in the past.
    I thought hurricane season was over!

So close now I can taste the disappointment

PokerOwned Demi-God
    i dont think im exaggerating by saying they would gain at least 50% more players by the end of the year if they added P2P they just dont care to listen to what their customers want.

Looks like they are losing players to Bovada and BCP/ACR. The other 2 sites have been establishing themselves the last couple of years.

I'm sure the change in tournament structure is a big reason why those numbers are so drastic. They cut there smallest buy-in tourneys and the ridiculous late regs and having all tourneys re-entries just doesn't appeal to most MTT players. I wonder how much less they are taking in with rake though, I bet it's not nearly as big of a difference with the change in structure. I also wonder how many of the players that left were players that never deposited and only played the open freerolls and took a shot at MTTs like the 6 cent rebuy.

During that time, they also dropped several skins, and players with accounts on different skins were probably being counted for each account.

As far as trying to attract new players, I'm not sure Merge has many options there, at least as far as the US goes. It's extremely difficult to advertise past and most US players that are comfortable playing on a site after BF have already tried Merge. If they want to increase traffic, they need to work on attracting former players and bring them back to the site.

Another reason players might not be choosing Carbon are cashout times. I'm happy with receiving a check in 3-4 weeks, but Bovada is kicking their ass with 1 week cashout times. I'm not sure what BCP/ACR times are.
    I'm gonna give that bitch a freeroll, bitches love freerolls.

PokerOwned Veteran
    When I played on Carbon I found the players to be tougher there than other places.

Quote Originally Posted by zingbust View Post
    When I played on Carbon I found the players to be tougher there than other places.
    Hmmm... perhaps tougher in the sense that you can't make them fold any face or ace regardless of what's on the board...
    I'm not slurring my words. I'm talking in cursive. I believe the ladies find it to be quite elegant.

Parlay Champion
    I agree they need to offer player to player transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast