I'm passionate about this, I run it, half my friends do and I know I'm new here but this operating system has little to none viruses, malware, spyware. Do your research before changing OS.

Ubuntu (/ʊˈbʊntuː/ uu-BUUN-too)[7][8] is a Debian-based Linux operating system, with Unity as its default desktop environment (formerly GNOME). It is based on free software and named after the Southern African philosophy of ubuntu (literally, "human-ness"), which often is translated as "humanity towards others" or "the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity".[9]
Ubuntu (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The world's most popular free OS | Ubuntu

Microsoft's Windows 8 dominated countless headlines in the weeks leading up to its launch late last month, but October saw the debut of another major operating system as well.

Canonical's Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" arrived a week ahead of its competitor, in fact, accompanied by a challenge: "Avoid the pain of Windows 8." That slogan appeared on the Ubuntu home page for the first few hours after the OS's official launch, and attracted considerable attention.

Apparently Canonical decided to tone down its message later in the day?the slogan now reads "Your wish is our command"?but it seems fair to say that the underlying challenge remains...

10 reasons to choose Ubuntu 12.10 over Windows 8 | PCWorld