Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $69653.74

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Elite PokerOwned Member GottImHimmel's Avatar

Post Where to Draw the Line between---Recklessness/Brilliance

So, I would like some clarification on this very subject:

Often people playing that are loose and reckless get shouted down as "donks" and "fishes", sometimes rightly so

However: You have world famous loose-agressive players, most notably, Gus Hansen

Where do we draw the line between the two? Feel free to voice your opinion, I have my own but I will refrain to say until plenty of people have answered.

I think Gus is both.... I don't mean donk or fish,,, I mean Recklessness/Brilliance.
    " JUST KILLIN TIME,,, WAITING FOR TIME TO KILL ME,,,"

PokerOwned Veteran
    I wished I could draw the line myself always taking risk I shouldnt be. but I am a donk most of time.

PokerOwned God
    A person is a donk when you lose to a very loose player and get frustrated.

People like to call people donks if they get their premium hand cracked by lowly cards. The problem with this is that the person who called preflop with the low cards would easily fold if he misses flop and get value if he hit it. This is not donk play. Its good play.

However if someone with some rags called big raise pre, called raise on flop with nothing. Maybe turned a gushot and called an all in and hit. Then that would be considered a donk play.

Its not about the cards you play but how you play them. So playing lower ranked cards doesnt mean your playin like a donk. Well that kinda depends. Playin hands like suited connectors is fine. playin hands like 49 off are donkish hands.

I am a pretty tight player and I think most of this community who has played at my table can verify this, but last night I wanted to experiment a little and played a lot of pots and was aggressive when I was in a pot with another player. It seems to work in the right circumstance. This seperates the meaning of the donk and fish.

Obviously pro's have worked on this and that's why they are pro's and other pro's know this is their playing style. Which makes them a dangerous player. I just answered another thread but look at Tony G. He is very aggressive and plays high stakes poker with the best of them and can pawn them at any given time.

20:58 <Poof> I would trade my husband for gisele
    18:37 <thepokerkid> @thepokerkid: and stop thinking about gay things

first of all this is internet poker people do strange things and mostly this stuff happens in freeroll and small buy ins, if u let some1 get in cheap or in the big blind and they hit thats ur fault, thats poker deal with it

Elite PokerOwned Member
    Well I'm not entirely sure that this line actually exists. I mean depending on the player at the table where you are. You have to decide to either play loose or tight or even a little of both. And as far as being call fish, donk, or any of the other thousand terms. Is usually left to the loser of the hand to do now isn't it.

Most tourneys I play in either I am called a name or an opponent or whatever. Like I forced you to play your hand lol If you call and lose, I'm not a donk or anything else. The best hand or best play won after the board is dealt. That is poker. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!!

Elite PokerOwned Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wagon596 View Post
    I think Gus is both.... I don't mean donk or fish,,, I mean Recklessness/Brilliance.
    Im with you , that dude is unbelievable at times .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast