Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $63497.96

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Veteran

dealing with swings

How do you deal with the swings that are bound to come with poker both emotionally and psychologically. Just lost a 200$ bankroll on Carbon because i didnt know how to deal with a downswing, went on tilt and got emotional.... Any way to prevent this from happening or is it just going to since im so young (18)

PokerOwned Demi-God
    I've been there many times. I think the best way is to just step away for a while and relax your brain. This could mean a day or two, a week, or a month. Also make sure to play within your bankroll. If you have a $200 bankroll don't play $100 tournaments. Limit it to no more than 5% of your bankroll.

The swings will drive you crazy. I've found that even a good swing can take it's toll mentally. I feel like I just want to keep playing since I'm doing so well, and then at the end of the day I'm completely worn down.

i agree brm is key i used 10% of my br daily so if i have $100 br i use $10 a day it works for me i stay away from cash tables too just me though
    <StephyMarieC> erik!!!!! yay you've always been one of my favorites hehe <scorcher863> i kinda want to smoke some meth, then play poker for like 3 days straight

PokerOwned God
    Quote Originally Posted by roebuck212 View Post
    How do you deal with the swings that are bound to come with poker both emotionally and psychologically. Just lost a 200$ bankroll on Carbon because i didnt know how to deal with a downswing, went on tilt and got emotional.... Any way to prevent this from happening or is it just going to since im so young (18)
    when you start loosing close it up and walk away preferably outside to clear you head and focus again

PokerOwned God
    good advice here, BRM is for sure the main important aspect for not going broke.

I'm down like 20% of my roll on Carbon from a bad luck stretch. I stopped playing for a bit... almost 2 weeks now, minus our games, or on other sites. This accomplishes 2 things: protects your bankroll, allows PO to help you rebuild for a bit.

PokerOwned Veteran
    Yeah, A lot of the time if i don't do well in the first couple hours of playing then i quit for the day, it just gets too frustrating after awhile getting sucked out by donks

PokerOwned Demi-God
    yea dealing with swings is tough!! Especially on the higher stake cash games!

PokerOwned Master
    i have a set amount of buyins i allow myself to lose before i call it a day. usually 10 (5 if cash games) depending on the site and my bankroll and game types/stakes i play on the site. i rarely lose 10 buyins in a day but i mainly play HUSNGs so it does happen. and 10 is probably a bit too strict for HUSNGs but it works for me and its a good way to discipline yourself. and when it comes to bad beats, i always make sure i remember the last time i sucked out on somebody and just think of that and call it even. that's how i got over tilting from short term results.

Experienced Member
    You have to be really disciplined. Use proper BRM and if you hit a really bad run don't hesitate to move down in stakes from what you normally play. This takes some of the pressure off and allows you to play through the downswings easier. Also find something to do outside of poker that really allows you to distress and take your mind off of the bad run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast