Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70769.27

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced Member

Statagey for shoving late in tournaments with a short stack

So I was playing in a really well run bar tournament last week and got into a really good discussion with a player late in the tournament about hands to shove late in a tournament with under a 15bb stack. He was saying he would rather shove K and Q rag over Ace rag. His thought process behind it was your less likely to get called by k10, qten, then you are A7+. If you shove A5, theres no way A9-AK with a decent stack is folding and you are just crushed. Would like to hear anyone elses thoughts on this?

PokerOwned Pro
    I like that reasoning, but if the ace-rag is suited then thats a different story. Connectors are not a bad shove, especially double paint or suited, most ace-rags will fold to your shove and you may get called by a weaker king
    now what is more important is your position when you shove - to me its better to be late or in the blinds - you dont want a lot of callers unless you have a monster - even then, aa is only a small favorite against 5 random hands - and if you can just steal the blinds from the button, cutoff or highjack without a fight then even better.

Elite PokerOwned Member jcolee2's Avatar
    always better to shove than blind off and have to race as a short stack

Elite PokerOwned Member pokerponed's Avatar
    Depends on timing. Even then there is no guarantee that youll win afterall this is poker.

PokerOwned Veteran
    mixed feelings about the shoving strategy, I dont do it unless i have a good hand

PokerOwned Master
    playin short stack is more position and feel.. cards are a secondary thing.. from the button I might push 10-8 suited

ill shove nething on the button~!

BOSS!
    "Success is a science; if you have the conditions, you will get the results" -Oscar Wilde

MY CAPS LOCK IS BROKEN!

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

I'm kinda with him, but I like the smaller suited connector hands - K and Q rag are very, very easy to dominate. I think he just wanted you to start playing those hands so he could beat you

When I'm down to 5bb or less late in a tournament, I'll shove pocket 10's or higher and any AK or AQ and sometimes AJ AT if suited. Any suited connectors 8 or above will usually get shoved when I'm fighting for survival. Better to shove when you still have enough chips for other players to have to think about calling you.

Elite PokerOwned Member PimpGameNM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Igotouts23 View Post
    So I was playing in a really well run bar tournament last week and got into a really good discussion with a player late in the tournament about hands to shove late in a tournament with under a 15bb stack. He was saying he would rather shove K and Q rag over Ace rag. His thought process behind it was your less likely to get called by k10, qten, then you are A7+. If you shove A5, theres no way A9-AK with a decent stack is folding and you are just crushed. Would like to hear anyone elses thoughts on this?
    I think you lost us at "So I was playing in a really well run bar tournament"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast