Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $63497.96

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goals

Elite PokerOwned Member shellabella's Avatar

Goals

As a beginner, I wonder how many people set realistic goals in poker? If you do, what are they? just curious...

I'm always setting goals for myself because I love the game so much I won't be happy If I'm not good. My newest goal is to move from freerolls to higher paying tournaments. I've had a minor setback so that might take awhile lol.

Seasoned Veteran
    The goal should be to improve your play...don't think too much about the profit (although that is great obviously). Review your sessions and post hands that you want advice on. Try and learn how to play as many situations as possible

PokerOwned God
    Quote Originally Posted by Sori3 View Post
    The goal should be to improve your play...don't think too much about the profit (although that is great obviously). Review your sessions and post hands that you want advice on. Try and learn how to play as many situations as possible
    well said ... many people lose sight of this

I absolutely agree..first goal is to improve your play, understand the game, test out theories, etc. Of course, we all want to win, but we also need to remember there is always something to learn (in poker and in life) before we can claim a win.

Elite PokerOwned Member MrPokerVerse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shesellsseashells View Post
    I absolutely agree..first goal is to improve your play, understand the game, test out theories, etc. Of course, we all want to win, but we also need to remember there is always something to learn (in poker and in life) before we can claim a win.
    This game to me seems to always evolve. Book published years ago are outdated, players have styles night to day and the general dynamics can change with one different variable thrown in. Who ever quoted this was dead on, "It is easy to learn to play poker but it takes a lifetime to master it."

Then there are others who take the fast road to Vegas with lots of experiances and stories to tell, do tell.
    "When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience." anonymous quote

Experienced Member
    my goals is to slowly build a bankroll of 5K while having a nice time playing the game

Elite PokerOwned Member MrPokerVerse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Binzakkoom View Post
    my goals is to slowly build a bankroll of 5K while having a nice time playing the game
    Slowly as in what time frame? Good luck in doing that.
    "When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience." anonymous quote

Quote Originally Posted by MrPokerVerse View Post
    This game to me seems to always evolve. Book published years ago are outdated, players have styles night to day and the general dynamics can change with one different variable thrown in. Who ever quoted this was dead on, "It is easy to learn to play poker but it takes a lifetime to master it."

Then there are others who take the fast road to Vegas with lots of experiances and stories to tell, do tell.

Are we a little anxious, Pat?..lol..Well, as luck may be, I am currently working on a blog for the other forum..lol..keep your pants on there, young fella.

Banned
    Well, imo I play very high caliber poker. But if I needed to make a goal, i guess it would to not commit all my chips when I know for a fact that i am ahead, but also know he can call and suck out. Like for instance, the other day in a game someone raised early, i had 84 suited diamonds, he reraised me,and i called for the bad beat odds. I just like doing things a different way. the flop came out 48A, he raised like maybe checked, I raised like 40% of the pot, he came over me with about 60% of the new pot amount...and I had a good idea what he had, AK or AQ, maybe even KK and was trying to find out where he was. So I shove my remaining stack in there good, And he barely had me covered,we both had about the same and it was about equal to the pot amount then, so yeah, I shove and he calls and flips over AK, perfect read, but the turn bam, K river A, game over. If I would have just maybe called instead of 3betting all in after flop, i would folded at the turn trusting my read on things. I do fold when I think i am now behind, and there I very well could have too. Basically, I want to avoid letting myself get in good knowing or feeling I know his hand and letting him get me when I can no longer do anything about it. Bad beats happen all the time, I guess I would like to do pot control a little better to cut down on the beats and make them somewhat minimum loses instead of stakes. YEah, that has got to be my goal, Controlling the Pot Better. Not letting my ego in the way either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast