Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70746.29

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, The proud "BIG LAYDOWN"

I'm playing in the Carbon 50$ freeroll last night and I couldn't believe my eyes. I know I'm no pro, but this was so sick....I mean, really, I don't know what some people think sometimes. Ok, we got about 60 people left at this point. BTW, Pays in this game start at 30 people, for 35 cents. Blinds are at 100-200. One short stack at table has about 1400 and change (7 big blinds) and limps in from UTG 3 (LIMPS?!?). It's folded around to the Big Blind, who pops it to 1k. It is now heads up.

Well, that short stacks timer started, and it seemed he was thinking. Then, he folds, and shows one card, THE ACE OF CLUBS (!?!?!?). The unspoken exclamation, given these circumstances, would certainly be "I'm capable of making a big lay down - see? I'm going to fold this ace." Of course, I could not resist typing into the chat window "You lay that down like you are proud of it?? which elicited laughter from the BB and one other at the table. Proudly displaying a green ribbon, he has won one of these before, SO....he ought to know better! Where did this guy go wrong? Well, let us count the ways.....

1. When you have less than or right around ten big blinds and you are 4th to act, you either fold ace rag or shove. Frankly, folding isn't much of an option this short stacked, even if you think you are up against a better ace, which you won?t be able to think unless you limp! Or, you limp in and shove to ANY raise, especially if you think your shove preflop won?t be called. Personally, I'm not folding any ace, even ace duck, with only 7 bb's. What are you waiting for? AK? Sure, fold and maybe you will get it by the time you have 2 BB's left, then what good would it do you? Besides, see number 2. But you simply cannot limp in and fold anything, really. While I realize the odds of someone else having an ace at a nine handed table when you hold one is VERY likely (see Super System, chart "Absence of aces preflop"), this just means fold at worse, shove at best.

2. He was NOT paying attention. There were some really short stacks at the table who were obviously sitting out. If one of them had the other ace, well, they pitched it! This meant, had he added it up, we were more like 4 handed! And this drastically changes the odds of those aces dealt. And what are the odds of it being in the hand of the Big Blind? See number 3.....

3. If you are in the Big Blind, and It is folded around to you with only one limper, most players will raise NO MATTER WHAT THEY HOLD! Yes, even 2-7 off! Not only that, they will back it up with a reasonable continuation bet post flop, no matter the flop, "out of position" be damned. Is this suspicious or what? It is to me. I have been wrong about it before, but usually no, and if he is ANY kind of a player, well, you know he is raising light, very light indeed.

4. By showing that ace under these conditions, this poor guy screamed, "Push me around, PLEASE! I LOVE MAKING THE BIG LAY DOWNS!? While doing a limp-fold to the BB raise at 7 BB's kind of says this already, all you do by showing is confirm it. NEVER SHOW YOUR CARDS! Unless you just pulled off a big bluff and want to tilt someone, yet even then, it can really hurt you!

5. A few hands later this guy got what he wanted; in the BB he shoved with 10-10, and was called by 2 others, both with ace rag who limped in (get the irony? They probably thought he was trying to steal, lol). They hit the ace on the flop, and he was gone.

What do you think?
    Last edited by MPALER; 06-03-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: math and spelling, of course.

Sorry, but for some reason all my ' came in as ?. I write in word first, then cut and paste. Please excuse.

PokerOwned Demi-God
    I think you have waaay to much time on your hands

i think its a good survey of the game u played...however just noticing this is only half the battle :|
    17:51 <PooffyFooffy> not everyone screws up things the way I can
    20:27 <PooffyFooffy> I could use all the help I can get, lol
    <PooffyFooffy>lol I have my share of duh moments, regularly, lol

PokerOwned Master
    such a great story, you should write more, it was interesting

Seasoned Veteran
    I have raise folded the nutflush on the river before people have ranges and there is no shame in laying down a big hand when your beat.

Quote Originally Posted by omgyousuck View Post
    I have raise folded the nutflush on the river before people have ranges and there is no shame in laying down a big hand when your beat.
    Takes great discipline. I notice that it's so hard for me to do right now in my game... There's been a few times where I have the nuts and river gets villan home, they'll overbet the pot and I'll foolishly call just to try and keep em honest and I end up regretting it because I knew they had hit their out. So frustrating, but I'm trying to work on it though..
    Free BitCoins for Chatting: http://coinchat.org/r:Rekersiv

PokerOwned Demi-God
    I think that most tourneys have similar points of interest. You could write an essay about a single hand just about any day you play.

PokerOwned Demi-God
    Tourney strategy needs to always include an all important rule number one. That is if you'd like to win or place in it. Don't let any donk take you all in that might get lucky, and the result is you lose your chip stack. You have to learn to fold "pretty" cards.

Elite PokerOwned Member snklzona's Avatar
    Yes he probably did not make the right play but is that the worst you have seen...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast