Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70746.29

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bet Strategy

PokerOwned Veteran

Bet Strategy

This is from my experience, and from the few coaching sessions i've had with friends online.

Pre-flop:
    If you are going to play, you want to be the aggressor. Unless there are a lot of limpers in the pot before your action, you either want to bet or fold. Depending on your starting hand, you may want to limp too, or you may want to bet. If you have a premium hand, you will want to raise to try and knockout some crappier hands, so they don't hit a 5-9 straight vs your AA.

Betting:
    Standard rule of thumb - bet 3 x BB + 1BB per limper. So if the blinds are at 50/100. You are in seat 7, and there have been 2 limpers in front, your bet would be 500.

If someone has riase before you, you want to be bet 3x their bet.

If you have 10bb's or less, or getting close, any play you have will be shove or fold. Your best bet will be to shove an unopened pot, unless you have a monster then you should just shove.

Also, if any of your bets will put 1/3 or more of your stack into the middle, you should just shove anyway. Any lesser bet, and then a shove by the other player, you are pot-committed and will have to call anyway.

Post Flop
    Alright, you've seen a flop. You hit top pair, two pair, set, straight etc., the usual post flop bet for me is 2/3 of the pot, and again if it puts enough of your stack in the middle, you should just shove..

You've seen the flop, and didn't hit. 2 options.
    Option1- Continuation bet - you bet 2/3 of the pot hoping to get a fold. If you still don't hit after the turn or river, let the pot go, unless you are really sure you can get a fold.
    Option2 - Let the pot go, cut your losses.

You've flopped the Nuts
    If you flop the best hand, no other combinations can be made with the turn and river to beat your hand, you many want to check the flop and hope to get a bet from the opponent, cause chanes are, they won't call if you have the absolute best hand.

Turn and River Pretty much the same as betting on the flop. You should always make your opponents pay to see your hand, don't go offering free information to them that will let them know what kind of hands you are playing, and how you bet them.

remember, bet or fold. no flats, flats get you no info on the opponent.

PokerOwned God
    Thanks for this. Guess it will help some people.

PokerOwned Veteran
    I would imagine there's atleast a couple people who may not have been told something like this before. this could really help

PokerOwned Veteren
    great tips overall...the only thing i would add is to aggression...go after the blinds in later positions when blind levels at 25/50 and up

PokerOwned God
    pretty good advice for beginners ... ABC poker so to speak

PokerOwned Master
    good info on bet sizing - which i see people do strange thing like call off half their stack leaving behind 5 bb and then fold on the flop. also i would say flatting has its place in poker. for example you are in late position and have a lot of limpers in front of you. you are holding a suited connector or suited 1 or 2 gapper,this is an ideal place to flat as you are getting the right odds to call pre flop and most likely post flop depending on the board and how many people stay in the pot.

also flatting when you have a monster maybe right against an aggressive opponent who either likes to bluff or bet weaker hands. it allows you to get value out of your hand without scaring off people.

last case for flatting is when you have pot odds or especially implied odds to call. if you think the guy is strong but your draw can beat him, you have great potential in stacking him.

just my thoughts what do you guys think?
    Last edited by joefine; 02-21-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Elite PokerOwned Member
    thanks for the tips

Banned
    i don't follow what the book tells me, that is why i don't read them. I follow my own guide to betting, and it's not a guide at all. I go off of feel, maybe being a live player, that is where i learned it, most online players don't have that in the aresonal, they just click the button. Even online i type out my bets, and it all depends on position, board texture and who and how many i playing against in any hand. Sometimes with the nuts i bet straight out, sometimes i don't, who knows, if you have a certain betting habit, I will tell you this, I will pick up on it and exploit it. so, i would suggest you do not use this, or maybe just a little bit, cause sticking to one play of attack with A option, not going to do to much with that. best of luck to you

PokerOwned Veteran
    this is good guide to getting to that next level. especially going from playing 6 4 cause they are suitied and not being able to fold when you catch a bottom pair. i feel works for you great. and this is just a starting point. i agree you have to change it up or you will get exploited, but its a start. And knowing how much and why you are betting is much different than limping

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast