Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70781.62

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced Member

Would you have made this call?

I was in a PO freeroll last night that paid out the top 10. There were 13 players left, 6 at my table. I was about 7th in chips at the time. Cards are dealt, and I have JJ, sitting in the middle. Big stack goes all-in, small stack goes all-in and I decide to call. I figure JJ with 6 at the table could be a good opportunity for a triple-up. Well, big stack has AA and small stack has QQ. What luck, eh? I was knocked out.

Question is, should I have folded and let the big stack take the small stack out? That would have put me one player closer to the final table and a chance to earn a few pennies.

PokerOwned Master
    position says chuck it... theres a reason he's big stack... I'm assuming last call.. no need to play it
    Last edited by panthers63; 02-11-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Last nights freeroll also had a line up of heavy hitters! Anytime you are at a table with that kind of talent you must be very, very, very careful about each and every move.

Also refer to the thread labeled (Squatting at the Bubble....) It has some relevance in this matter.

Good Luck sam and welcome to PokerOwned......
    Last edited by StackSnack; 02-11-2014 at 11:02 AM.

PokerOwned Pro
    Fold to the Gold! It's hard to lay JJ down but even if the big stack only had AQ or AK, a hit knocks you out regardless.

PokerOwned Veteran
    Folding might be right here, but some of the decision depends on the size of the small stack....if the small stack is just a nuisance stack, like 1 or 2 bb, then calling is right, you won't get many opportunities better than this one to double against the big stack which is a real good goal to have here. But if losing to the shortie would cripple you, then it's a close decision because of the likelihood you are facing either a bigger pp, like you really were facing, or because you might be facing 3 overcards instead of the usual 2. Calling, like you did do, certainly wasn't a major mistake if it was a mistake at all.

Since this is a PO tourney, you'll play against the same players all the time. Taking just a few notes on them will tell you everything you need to know about what decision to make. I would make the same play as you maybe 2/3s of the time. But if the chip stack was someone I had marked as a solid player and the short stack still had a significant stack compared to mine and was a solid player, I would fold.
    I'm gonna give that bitch a freeroll, bitches love freerolls.

Position says fold, medium stack so not desperate says fold, at best 33% favorite being 3rd calling from behind says fold, the ONLY way to call in that position is < 8bb regular blind or < 13bb turbo. And no the squatting at bubble is terrible advice to give at ANY time, but a good player lays this down
    Always Remember Your Roots

Makeup Owed: http://www.pokerowned.com/forums/f31/makeup-thread-post-your-makeup-here-27604.html

PokerOwned Pro
    once the small stack calls that should be your cue to get out - if anything he has you beat or your up against two overs - on the flip side I dont think a big stack makes that move without the same type hand - over pair or at least two over cards - not worth it in the end so close to bubble

now I go back to this so often so why not say it again here - what can turn the decision around it what you want out of the tourney - if at least cashing is of any importance then there is no question but to fold - but if your ONLY goal is to get first or die trying (which exists for some people - and is a common satellite goal) then its an easy call - but most good players will tell you that you should never play with the 'first or die' attitude because you wont get there enough times to make it profitable
    Last edited by Detroitjunky; 02-11-2014 at 04:54 PM.

PokerOwned Veteran
    first or die strategy isn't all that bad because many times in your quest for 1st you'll fail to get 1st, but at least you'll get a lot farther than the "make the money first" strategy.

Library Master Champion eqgh5uea's Avatar
    jj pretty much sux

if your goal is to get 1st then ya call, however you need to be able to know that HU, with blind increases means no matter how 'good' u-r, ur gonna have to play the blind instruction rather than ur money and time.

As a Physicist we're taught early that time-space is never distance, it is, and always has been, light,,,, spot the bubble, my friend.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours; two ships, two brigs, one schooner and one sloop." --- O.H. Perry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast