Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $71298

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Veteran

Top Set on a dry board

I wanted to get some people's opinion on playing top set on a dry board. It seems that lately when i do this against one or two opponents I get caught. KK Flop 4 - 6 - K Rainbow. I checked the flop and turn (J) and then bet the pot on the River (8) and he raises the pot again and i call. He flips over 5-7 off... he called my raises from the button.

PokerOwned Veteran
    how much did you raise pre-flop or did you raise preflop even. seems like a a stroke of bad luck

Never check more than one street to slowplay unless you have like quads or some hand that literally can't be beat is my opinion. I mean, you have to build a pot either way. I'd have bet just enough on the turn to give all possible draws a bad price, and if they call then it's their idiotic luck, but yeah a turn bet was probably correct as it forces draws out and starts to build a pot. Hope they have QJ and will pay off a little or something. Hard spot and tough break tho.

Seasoned Veteran
    Thanks for the advice - yeah i didn't see alot out there that i could get some value from so i checked to the river in hopes the board would pair or an ace would come. I raised 5x the BB from early position.. no other callers. This guy is generally loose agressive and thought the check on the turn would show weakness and induce a bluff.

PokerOwned Demi-God
    i never slow play becase some always get god hand

Experienced Member
    I would check the flop to induce bluff or give the Opponent a card to catch. I would also check the turn to allow the op to catch a card. Then value bet.

PokerOwned Veteran
    your first mistake. you have to make him pay to draw. you gave him a free card.

think of it like this
    you over bet both times.. if he calls and calls his draw and you still lose no biggie
    make a mental note. this player is a calling station donkey
    you use that to ur advantage.
    Im postive if you would have made a continuation value bet he would have folded by fourth street

Elite PokerOwned Member snklzona's Avatar
    Have to agree that if you let them have free cards you have encouraged draws...by river you only get called by hand that beats yours...

LLB King
    Play it slow, try to get maximum value, they won't hit a miracle straight more than 5% of the time on a board like that, so you will be profiting in the long run.

PokerOwned Veteran
    There is no definite answer to this question.... you have to maximize your payoff. Don't bet differently or a good player will sniff if out. Play off your opponent and your table image.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast