Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70874.75

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Why multi-tabling is bad?

I discovered something today while in chat. I mentioned a few times that I was going to grind and a few people PM'ed me asking for my screename, if they could watch, and what not. I later discovered some of these people started grinding many tables at once. It's one thing to play 2 tables at once. It's another thing to play 4+ games at the same time. Take the following advice, or leave it...It's completely up to you. I'm here to try to help others play.

I wish PokerTableRatings had records of my play pre-december but for some reason it doesn't. Maybe since I didn't play on Carbon for 6 months my records got deleted out of the database. Not sure. My point to this is, if you looked at my pre-december PTR you would have seen many swings. This was caused by poor play and making the same dumb mistake. If you are not a solid player on one table, you are not a solid player on 4 tables, or 8 tables. While it is true playing multiple tables reduces variance, it is also true that if you are a losing poker player you will lose 4x, 6x, 8x, etc. faster. Poker Pro Jared Hubbard says it best in his recent blog. He has played 20k+ SnG's on Carbon and prior to that 50k+ SnG's on PS and Cake, yet he only plays 1-3 tables at once. Multi-tabling is not for everyone.

With all that said, why do I multi-table? If you've watched my sessions in the past you'll notice a few things. If I'm playing PLO I have 2 tables running at once, rarely more. If I'm playing FL (Fixed Limit) Holdem I'll get as many running as I can (usually 6 on Carbon). FL games offer a more straight up playing style. The ability to determine pot odds isn't relevant. The game is much simpler and allows for the ability to play many tables at once. I've been playing FL since I was 18 (nearly 6 years), through trial and error I've figured out what works and what loses me money. I didn't deposit onto FTP back in the day and start playing 12 tables right away and win. I played one and lost then got pissed. Played 2 and lost faster and got more pissed. You can probably figure out what happened next. I had no money!!! Before you play more then 2 tables at once, and maybe even 1, try logging at least 5k hands of winning poker before playing multiple tables. I also HIGHLY suggest the use of HUD if you're playing a game other then FL.

This is a poker community, post some hands here. Let others review your hands and give you advice. I did that when I first started playing. It helped a lot and got me to where I am today. I'm by no means a professional. I played a lot of live games in college, and looking back I probably should have played online more. You learn a lot by reviewing your hands, and seeing the graphs of your win/losses on a computer screen. Online poker offers so many educational benefits to the casual player, and professional alike, but few take advantage of it. Most players just play to play, and that's fine if you're not looking for a profit. But if you want to get a ROI you need to take time away from the table and study your game.

Good luck on the felt

P.S. Be on the look out for some videos of some recent hands I've played. I'll post them sometime tonight.

PokerOwned God
    Thanks for this tip, I also multitable a bit, but not more than 4. And as you said, it is difficult to play the best game with multitabling.

but in a way doesnt multi tabling lessen ur odds since you cant observe other players and there tendency. Since your only playing your hand and not the other players? I just dont see the benefit of playing more then 2 tables
    Failing to Prepare is Preparing to fail : John Wooden

Elite PokerOwned Member
    For sure it affects your play, but if you are good and eperienced enough it can multiply your winnings...

Multi table playing is a great way to earn money if your good enough

PokerOwned Demi-God
    i multi table a bit
    just dont click too fast
    and its a great way too lose or win a br lol

I cannot multi table tournaments worth crap.
    I have multi tabled cash games, but I do not prefer to do it, it kinda takes the fun out of it, imo.
    I will say if you are multi tabling cash games it helps to have a hud, that way the things you are missing still get picked up in stats.

the point of multi tableing is playing the math not the man, u basically sit back and wait for premium hands

Banned
    depending on the game, i multi table quite a bit. I like to run 2 or 3 razz or plo games at once. I also like to run a couple nlhe cash game with a sng or tournament up with it of same game. but there is times where i just feel like really concentrating on people and get notes, since i do not use any hud or tracking software, and just play one table and thats it. i do just fine and show a profit, but multitabling just depends on my mood more or less.

PokerOwned God
    i find it very difficult and wish to enjoy the game more than jumping around

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast