Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $71125.27

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PokerOwned Veteran

Stupid Tournament Decisions

Hey guys, I think we all know when to make a good move in a tournament. My theory is a lot of improvement on our game would come more from just eliminating the stupid moves we make. For example, I was at a final table earlier and made a stupid bluff with J2 off when I was chipleader and it ate a good size of my stack. What kind of stupid mistakes have you made and/or have the tendency to make?

PokerOwned Veteran
    Where do I begin...
    Not adjusting to the stages of the tourney. Not taking into account the stack sizes of my foes. To much calling. Letting the villain get there without making them pay. On and on and on. That's just the few tournaments that I played today.

PokerOwned Pro
    most players mistakes are clicking the call button

PokerOwned Veteran
    POSISTION plain and simple i get caught out in the lead alot with sub par hands... Im sure there are other things may a few Bluff Miscues lol

PokerOwned God
    i hate the idiots who go all in in the hopes of getting the flush and you have a set and they get the flush

PokerOwned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by royalpat View Post
    i hate the idiots who go all in in the hopes of getting the flush and you have a set and they get the flush
    I believe this is supposed to be tournament decisions that you make. Not them.

I make at least 5-10+ mistakes (that I notice!!) every tournament. The best thing to do is become a better player from acknowledging your mistakes and trying to make sure you improve because of it. No one is born perfect at anything and no one dies perfect at it either, but we can always get better.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonv12 View Post
    I make at least 5-10+ mistakes (that I notice!!) every tournament. The best thing to do is become a better player from acknowledging your mistakes and trying to make sure you improve because of it. No one is born perfect at anything and no one dies perfect at it either, but we can always get better.
    This is the hard part, isn't it? Stepping back and taking note of when the mistake is ALL yours and not the other guy's. I have to work on my end game - I don't relax my range as the table gets smaller while the blinds are getting bigger, so without some hard-core luck to get top 3. That, and all the things mentioned above as well. Reckon I need a lot of work.

PokerOwned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HopsnBarley28 View Post
    This is the hard part, isn't it? Stepping back and taking note of when the mistake is ALL yours and not the other guy's. I have to work on my end game - I don't relax my range as the table gets smaller while the blinds are getting bigger, so without some hard-core luck to get top 3. That, and all the things mentioned above as well. Reckon I need a lot of work.
    Exactly why I started the thread. When your in the beginning stages of learning tournament poker....at least for me, I've noticed that you can't always recognize what you did was a mistake (You might have won a big pot with 9/10 offsuit after you called a gigantic preflop raise........obviously it's stupid to do that but when your super new you might not even realize it's a dumbass move simply because you won the pot).

I only busted out once today without making a mistake......It was the first hand of my first buyin tournament at SWC.....15 players, 10 chip buyin.....First hand I get Ace 4 suited......Flop comes out A 4 9........the ace and 4 of diamonds on the board.....I throw out a slightly bigger than pot raise. 1 guy calls....I put him on a flush draw. Turn comes out, it's an insignificant club......I bet like 3/4ths of the pot. He shoves on me. I'm confident he doesn't have a set and he's trying to buy it with a flush draw. I call.....boom, diamond on river and I'm the first one out. He only had 89 of diamonds on top of that

I don't regret those decisions. I made a good bet on the flop that any reasonable guy on a flush draw would have folded to or maybe a good loose player might call once to see the turn. The pot was pretty big on the turn and there's no way you were just calling. He knew I had to have had a big hand and he shoved anyway....I was right on my read. I was over a 75-80% favorite on the turn. I can't help it that a donk made a mathematically incorrect move. That's poker for you. I'd make the same move again in that situation.

I'm just glad I know that wasn't a mistake. Knowing what is or is not a mistake isn't easy for a noob to discern. The more I play, the more leaks I discover in my game that I haven't realized before. I'd like to read as many subtle weaknesses you guys have noticed in your own play as possible. It might lead me to discover something I haven't noticed about myself.

Experienced Member
    usually i know when i make a mistake by raising is when u get called u can never raise enuf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast