Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $63867.55

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Veteran

Negative variance

I've been in a complete rut for the last week. Was just tracking my hands on three different SnG tables and the best pocket hand in the last 50 was a 10/10, which of course got crushed by a KK. What do you guys do to get out of a rut? I've been pretty heavily in the red for the last 10 days or so. Just can't seem to get any momentum and I'm just getting more and more frustrated (leading to some terrible decision making).

PokerOwned Veteran
    When I'm in a rut I do two things. First, I play a more loose aggressive style. If you can't catch hands you must make hands. Second, I drop my levels. If I normally play 5/10 I'll drop to 2/4. The reason is, when you are on a bad run you lose much less in this manner. I hope this helps.

PokerOwned Pro
    Can variance be negative? I'm not sure, but I think variance means inconsistent, so can you have negative inconsistency? does that make sense/ ahh anyways..

Your just on a downswing man, it happens to us all, as long as you keep making +ev decisions then it should turn around eventually. GL!

Experienced Member
    Variance is a bitch and many people start to play less than optimally when they are stuck. I've been in that situation before and it sucks. As stated above dropping your level would be a good start, also could consider taking a couple of days off. In the past taking a little break helped me get my mind right. If you think your going to lose when you sit down there is a really good chance you will. Hope you get your run good back. One more thing real quick, don't over value big pairs. Its easy to see QQ, KK or AA and feel like its an unbeatable hand but its still just a pair and the average winning hand is 2 pair. Little food for thought, good luck!

Seasoned Veteran
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to drop down a level or two and play a bit looser. I'm probably still too tight of a player for my own good, so we'll see how this goes.

PokerOwned Master
    yeah to slow down a bit an to drop the limits is the best way to get over a downswing, u can play higher levels when you are back on the train

Either drop limits or just give it a rest for a week. When I take a break, I usually come back fairly strong. I should probably take a break myself, based on how things have gone lately...

PokerOwned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by docdrew View Post
    Variance is a bitch and many people start to play less than optimally when they are stuck. I've been in that situation before and it sucks. As stated above dropping your level would be a good start, also could consider taking a couple of days off. In the past taking a little break helped me get my mind right. If you think your going to lose when you sit down there is a really good chance you will. Hope you get your run good back. One more thing real quick, don't over value big pairs. Its easy to see QQ, KK or AA and feel like its an unbeatable hand but its still just a pair and the average winning hand is 2 pair. Little food for thought, good luck!
    Doc makes a great point about being in the right mindset. If I sit down to play poker and don't feel quite right, unfocused, or am not in the killer mindset, I go do something else instead. Seems to work for me.

They are also right about taking a few days off if you get in a rut and believe you can't win. When you sit back down to play, make sure you have the mindset "I shit excellence".
    When you are sending your Soldier into uncharted bush, always make sure he's wearing a helmet.

Library Master Champion eqgh5uea's Avatar
    Sometimes you can cry without knowing why, sob without wanting to, you can freeze and burn but end up cold again!
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours; two ships, two brigs, one schooner and one sloop." --- O.H. Perry

Elite PokerOwned Member
    what site are you playing at?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast