Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $60810.71

PokerOwned Master

Position Preflop Raising Sizes in FR Cash Games

Hey guys, what do you think about the strategy of positional bet sizing preflop in full-ring cash games? Where you keep a set range of hands based on position, but the size of your preflop raise is determined by your position also, not affected by your hand. I would raise 2xBB from EP(including blinds), 2.5xBB from MP, and 3xBB from LP(including button). Do you think this is a good general strategy for poker? Do you think this is good for full-ring cash games at 4NL??

Library Master Champion eqgh5uea's Avatar
    Great strategy to start the game off. I usually sit out a couple rounds to see the quality of play. Once you creat an image or establish one, you should move on to more complex ranges.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours; two ships, two brigs, one schooner and one sloop." --- O.H. Perry

I like to change things up all the time. With the ability to keep notes, good players will be able to know exactly how you usually play.

TON is Gone.
    I like to drop my cat on the numberpad and see what numbers come up. Going all in UTG with 3-2 off seems to be a winning strategy on free rolls these days. Always flopp AK or AA if anyone before you goes all in before you bet. If you go all in with those cards, and someone shoves behind you... walk away from the computer and come back when the next hand is dealt. This will save your monitor about 50% of the time.

Good idea if it works for you. I agree with jepork alot of players take notes so they will figure out your play. You need to change your play up so players dont figure you out. In the PO freerolls it doesnt matter how much you raise you will get called by somebody no matter thier cards.

PokerOwned Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesUp1439 View Post
    Good idea if it works for you. I agree with jepork alot of players take notes so they will figure out your play. You need to change your play up so players dont figure you out. In the PO freerolls it doesnt matter how much you raise you will get called by somebody no matter thier cards.
    Yeah I completely agree, but by changing your play, I don't know if that means you should change your bet sizes... keep your bet sizes the same based on position, but tighten or loosen your hand ranges based on the competition. That would seem to give you the most advantage. That way you aren't giving out any tells based on your bet sizes.

PokerOwned Pro
    yes that is a great way to do it ...thats the way i do it no matter the cards

PokerOwned Veteran
    Theres too many variables in poker to apply a "set" game plan like that IMO. Not saying its wrong or bad play but theres way too many situations that require one to stray from a set bet sizing guideline. I tend to raise 3-4xBB plus 1 BB per limper in hopes of maybe thinning field a little. Just think you could be losing value at micro stakes raising less than 3BBs in any position. All this is dependant on the players at the table of course. I'll lower bet sizing at tighter tables and increase at loose donkfest tables. Also I dont think my bet sizing has ever reflected my holdings other than the occasional open shove with aces at super loose micro table lol.
    Last edited by mpulsive07; 12-22-2012 at 05:23 AM.

lee
    PokerOwned Veteran
    As with MTT Strategy - increases dependent on the position, I personally do not play, but I think this post inspire me to make it to test the Casch FR. It may have positive effects

Quote Originally Posted by tturne01 View Post
    Hey guys, what do you think about the strategy of positional bet sizing preflop in full-ring cash games? Where you keep a set range of hands based on position, but the size of your preflop raise is determined by your position also, not affected by your hand. I would raise 2xBB from EP(including blinds), 2.5xBB from MP, and 3xBB from LP(including button). Do you think this is a good general strategy for poker? Do you think this is good for full-ring cash games at 4NL??
    I usually use a static bet sizing preflop by preference, but have heard of people using a varying bet size depending on position preflop. I think it can be a good general strategy but I don't think it is all that important at micro stakes. The amount of villains paying attention to slight differences (1 or 2 bbs, most people will notice if you open 20bbs) in bet sizes preflop at 4NL far outweigh those that are.

Assuming your playing a standard TAG game, have you considered reversing your sizes, at least at the levels where most aren't paying attention? 3x EP, 2.5x MP, etc. Since the majority of the cards you will be playing in EP will be strong, by opening larger you create a bigger pot with the top of your range. Which would mean in LP, where you should be opening a lot wider, you will be risking less with more marginal holdings. If you do adopt this strategy I would up them to something like 4x EP, 3x MP, and 2.5x LP. That way stealing in position isn't a minbet. Although I have seen the minbet steal work a fair amount at 4NL, I just feel it is less likely to work being only 1 blind more for the BB.

I notice you dont mention whether you are talking about opening preflop or if there are limpers before you. Do you take them into account with your bet sizing? Im guessing that you do and just didn't mention it in the OP, but if not it is a leak that should be looked into.