Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $63867.55

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Elite PokerOwned Member GottImHimmel's Avatar

Post Entering a pot Pre-flop, Varying factors

Before I enter into a flop during a tournament, i look at all of these factors, feel free to add your opinion

1. Hand Strength
    2. Position
    3. Tournament Structure
    4. My relative stack size
    5. How much resistance I foresee from my opponents.
    6. Cost effectiveness, I.E) Putting in 60 chips for a pot of 360, thus a 1:6 ratio in comparison to say, 120 chips for a 240 chips or a 1:2 ratio. * Very important when stack sizes are relatively even throughout your table or with the players involved in the hand.
    7.I go back to # 3 to clarify, Say you want to blind steal, it is most opportune for either fast raising blind structure, or high Blind/Ante ration, whereas a sit-and-go with no antes and slow blind raising it would most likely be proper NOT to blind steal in most hands.
    8. Elaboration on # 6, remember that if there are multiple limpers or just small raisers, and 4-5 people might see the flop, and you have a comfortable stack, it could be effective to see cheap flops for high ratio pots. Again for Example putting in 80 chips for a 400 size pot with 3-6 people in the hand. Also to note on hands with many people seeing the flop, other players cannot read your actions as easily, being masked by the situation of a multi-way pot.

Anyone feel free to give their thoughts on this, if you'd like

Elite PokerOwned Member
    Well you always have to consider the factors. But also you have to consider how many of these factors that the other player will be considering as well.

I finally appreciate "position". Working on pot odds and implied odds. I do a guesstimate, works ok. Also, constantly checking cost per round, esp when antes kick in. Taking my time before calling, I hate when I snap call.

Agreed, rash decisions are often the ones that lead us into trouble.

What i most look at honestly i what the current history of the players is. I generally play to my opponents first and consider the rest later. This is especially more effective if you've been playing the same people for quite some time. Like you know if a certain player goes all in without hesitation pre-flop then you know he has pocket tens because for the last 4 years thats the only hand he behaves that way with. Online is a bit more difficult but thats where your hand history analyzation and notes can come in handy. After that then i do factor in the rest. Hand strength vs. Position, then tourney type. (I hate rebuy tourneys sometimes) then Pot odds.
    muwahahahahah

PokerOwned God
    Yeah, I would agree with all of those. Thanks for the post.

Elite PokerOwned Member
    Very interesting and helpful tips, thanks for this.

Elite PokerOwned Member
    Position is a key factor

What players are already in the hand and their position along with their chip stacks

What kind of image your table is holding along with what they think you are

Your chip stack relative to the blinds and length of levels(tournament structure)

Hand Strength and what your goal is to accomplish with that hand (for example if you decide to just limp in are you willing to make a call from someone else raising behind you? or are you looking to be the raiser pre-flop...However, this correlates with the section on image of table)

Elite PokerOwned Member joshtheking's Avatar
    Very interesting,Thanks for the extra tips I try to look at the position and the odds i have to win with!
    FORGIVENESS IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER!THATS RIGHT THE KING IS BACK AND THIS TIME FOR GOOD SO DONT GET COMFORTABLE ,YOU BETTER PLAY TIGHTER.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast