Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $61944.4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Current B2B Champ!

playing JJ with an ace on board

i final tabled a $3 pot 1/2 hold em 1/2omaha hi/lo tournament the other day and this hand came up.
    i have about 30k in chips with blinds at 400-800.
    i have the button and the cutoff raises and i pot it to 6000 with JJ.
    the cutoff for all intensive purposes seems like a tricky but solid player, he has definitely done some bluffing and raised quite a few pots.
    the flop comes down A42 with 2 hearts. villain checks and i bet 5000, villain check raises all in, and we have about the same starting stack.

you have 19,000 left...WHAT DOES THE VILLAIN HAVE?

PS: dont tell me you fold because he obviously has an ace!

instead, tell me what you think he has and why u think he has it

Banned
    the only thing he would slow play is trips or a/x
    why would he let u get commited before going all in with his flush draw. it would be better for him to push in position

PokerOwned Master
    Would have to say it depends on which 2 cards are suited? assuming it's a full table and it's folded to the cutoff, his opening range is pretty wide but calling the re-raise narrows it a bit. being it's pot limit i would put him on either A10 or above or some kind of suited connectors with get postflop potential or large PP.

The postflop action I think rules out large PP with the exception of AA but I would expect a 4-bet preflop with AA therefore unlikely he has AA. KK, QQ would have a hard time check-shoving.

The shove postflop is indicative of a monster hand (trips but AA, 22 and 33 unlikely or straight but 35 is unlikely too given the flat of a 3-bet) or monster draw where he wants to win the pot now but has enough outs if he gets called he doesn't mind putting his money in. Therefore I would put him on something like 56 of hearts - where he has both a flush and straight draw. Or if it's the 42 that's suited then maybe Ax suited to heats where he has tp but a redraw to the nut flush.

Also I think it's tough to bluff that spot. What is he representing if he is bluffing? If he's representing a big ace it has to be AK and since you 3-bet preflop a big Ace is well within your range as well.

PS - next time can you give us the pot pre/post flop. i'm too tried to figure it out and pot-limit is all about pot-odds
    Last edited by joefine; 05-03-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Elite PokerOwned Member
    easy fold, If ace doesnt beat, Tan a multitude of other hand can, why go out looking dumb against A 2

Current B2B Champ!
    thoughts runnings through my head when he check shoved. i automatically ruled out AA and for that matter any pair jacks or better because he would have 4 bet me 100% given the image i had on him. i also ruled out AK AQ bc i was also quite sure given how i had seen him play that he would have 4 bet. the only logical aces i could see him having were A8-AJ. but the problem with these hands that was going through my head was that he has to be scared of me having AK OR AQ in this specific spot so i didnt see how he could raise. furthermore,A4 AND A2 were out of his range in my head because he wasnt the type of player to call out of position with these hands. going through this analysis qiuckly during the 1 min time bank i surmised that he could have air or maybe sumthin like KQ hearts. remember i told you he had shown down some bluffs and was quite capable of bluffing this spot i thought. i made the hero call because i could not put him on any ace. as it turned out i was right, but instead he had 22! i failed to consider this hand pretty much altogether but even looking back dont really understand the call. playing out of position with 22 facing a 3 bet to me just seems silly. with nearly every flop excluding that with a 2, hes going to check/fold. as it turns out i was right that he didnt have an ace and looking back on this hand i only regret not thinking about one important factor. WAS THIS PLAYER CAPABLE OF BLUFFING OFF HIS WHOLE STACK?

Banned
    roflwhatamoron

PokerOwned Pro
    easy....if you are deep stacked you bet for information. if you are short stack you should have pushed pre. if you are medium stack you have to be careful. if its a long winded tourney you have the option of waiting for better opportunities. if its a quick structure tournament you are foolish if you fold, you cant be afraid of the overcard. sometimes it gets you in trouble sometimes it creates valuable gains to your stack. especially if your image is correct and you have a wild aggressive image thats hard to read. people will call you with weaker hands like J10 suited to try to connect or KQ, even KJ. the other important variables to consider is the utility gained/lost getting involved in the hand and how late in the tournament you are. Thats my say on playing JJ with an A on the flop.

PokerOwned Pro
    oh and the other tendancies of the players involved, but really, that should go without say. some people will play any suited ace and once you have that information your decision is easy. maybe i shouldnt give away all my valuable strategies though ahahah

Current B2B Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by Singertime63 View Post
    roflwhatamoron
    thin line between genius and donkey. if i think i got the best hand ill go with it. some people dont have the heart to call in that spot even if they think there oppponent is bluffing.

Current B2B Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by thinknhurtz View Post
    easy....if you are deep stacked you bet for information. If you are short stack you should have pushed pre. If you are medium stack you have to be careful. If its a long winded tourney you have the option of waiting for better opportunities. If its a quick structure tournament you are foolish if you fold, you cant be afraid of the overcard. Sometimes it gets you in trouble sometimes it creates valuable gains to your stack. Especially if your image is correct and you have a wild aggressive image thats hard to read. People will call you with weaker hands like j10 suited to try to connect or kq, even kj. The other important variables to consider is the utility gained/lost getting involved in the hand and how late in the tournament you are. Thats my say on playing jj with an a on the flop.
    this was a pot limit tourney not no limit. Shoving was not an option preflop

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast