Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $66766.26

Seasoned Veteran

Play with JJ QQ TT

TT JJ QQ these are pretty good hands at the pre flop but when over card comes at the flop, its value reduces dramatically. At this moment what's the best decision? especially when I am the first to act like UTG. check fold ? or bet raise fold?

I Gots You Dominated MovingFlea's Avatar
    The book says that you throw a bet out anyway. but that's the book talking. There are many factors here to consider. Obviously you don't want to bet if you don't think you have the best hand and they wont fold.

LLB King
    Quote Originally Posted by dosaa7 View Post
    TT JJ QQ these are pretty good hands at the pre flop but when over card comes at the flop, its value reduces dramatically. At this moment what's the best decision? especially when I am the first to act like UTG. check fold ? or bet raise fold?
    If you raise preflop with QQ and the flop comes KT3r then you want to do a cbet so hands like AJ won't get a free card, plus it will help you find out where you are at.

Seasoned Veteran
    having only one over isnt all that bad considering. we only hit the flop 1/3rd of the time let alone top pair. cbet and go from their

Experienced Member
    definately c bet, if you fold to agression all the time then you aint gonna win many tourneys

Experienced Member
    should often make the continuationbet on the flop and you'll see how the opponent responds on that, if he re-raises you, then it is a difficult decision, or he's bluffing you away, or he did hit the higher card on the flop. You can continue that hand in the hope you'll hit 3-kind but i think it's often the best decision to fold if he re-raises you on the flop. ^^^^

agreed cbet and take it from there, i think if you get a reraise then fold though tbh im warry playing 1010 and jj utg most of the time play it cautiously

bet to rep the over card and if he shows aggression back then think to slow down on later streets but all this depends on many other things like texture of the board, how many other people are in the hand, ur position at the table and even ur image at the table

Well first off, unless the board is like AKQs and you have 1010 or the opposite extreme of 10 4 2 rainbow and you having a set of 101010, cbetting the flop is almost always the correct play. Just like how the pair becomes more vulnerable on the flop, it also becomes more vulnerable with each card there after.

I'd recommend cbetting smallish if you are against someone who is a weak or passive player if the board is dry with 1 over and conversely cbetting bigger if the board has a lot of draws.
    If you're up against a loose aggro winning player or someone stronger, a cbet around half the point to not give anything away is cool.

After that it gets trickier. Make sure to pot control and think about the hands your opponent has continued with that beats you versus don't as a range or percentage of likeliness, rather than just the types of hands. Like there are more combos of suited hands in their range drawing versus Kx hands or vice versus and so on and play accordingly.

These are some of the toughest hands to play because it takes a lot of strength as a player to have a good idea where you are at with them. Position helps here a lot too.

PokerOwned Veteran
    betting will tell you where you are at better than checking. You can get a much better read on a person by seeing how they react to bets than how they actually bet. That is why pro's play loose aggressive. If you read my notes on players you'll find that most of them revolve around how they react to bets. Now if you play pretty conservative, than your best bet is to play them much calmer preflop. Don't raise them so much and set mine them. The reason being you will lose value if you check them post flop. I'll explain why: If you have 10-10 and the flop comes K-Q-8 rainbow. You are going to be scared and as a conservative player you will check and give up control of the hand. So, if you are up against 10-J, Q-J, Q-10, or smaller pairs, you will wind up showing down more often with a loser. If you are against a K you are going to induce a bet and fold. If you are against an aggressive position player, you induce a bet and fold. If you are against a smaller pair you lose 10% of your value letting them set mine the turn and river. So as a conservative player, raising this hand in early position is a huge mistake. Now, lets take the contrary. Aggressive players: Same flop. You will bet against another player. Any king will call or raise that flop, which then allows you to analyze their choice and say to yourself "what would they .... with" and compare to past hands. This allows you to create a range for their hands and play the turn against a known range.

Now, I'd like to add an exception, if you have QQ, don't set mine as a conservative player. You are almost 50-50 to have an overpair on the flop with QQ, so you lose value calling with it. MUST RAISE IN ANY POSITION AND ACT ACCORDINGLY TO RERAISES OR FLOP.

This is why poker is such a great game because your play depends on the image you have, how you can manipulate that, how others play, and how you can manipulate that, plus luck. Not to mention infinite combinations of situations that can be manipulated.

Good luck and I hope this helps.