Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70091.69

Elite PokerOwned Member GottImHimmel's Avatar

Lightbulb Gap Concept Strikes Again, and Confounds Me

Hello fellows. Alright, basically defined by David Sklansky as this: It takes a better hand to call a raise than to make a raise.

This is a key concept for any intermediate to advance tournament strategist.

However, I have a question and a few scenarios for my fellow PokerOwned players.

How do you use the Gap Concept when someone has just limped in before you?

There are some variables to consider: The stack size of said limper, the hand range and playing style you have designated to said player.

I was playing in one of our PokerOwned hosted freerolls, and Our friend Jcolee2 demonstrated how limping and seeing flops early on could build a stack effectively. I did not know how to handle his/her limping when I was to act after Him/Her.

Scenario 1 The tournament has just started, so the BB ratio to stack size is very high. You are dealt Q-J s in late pos. This is a hand you would raise if it is folded to you, and fold if raised before you. However, how does one correctly handle a limp, or multiple limpers as is so often demonstrated early on.

Scenario 2 The tournament is down to 16 players, your table has 6 players and 5 players have about 7 BB's at 500/1000 Stakes. The 6th player happens to be our friend Jcolee sitting with 20 BBs. Jcolee is in Early Position, you are in Late. Your hole cards A-10 s. A good blind stealing hand at this point, but you know Jcolee has limped in. What to do?????

There's my two scenarios, and I hope they represent well my frustration.

Basically, I have never seen limping defined properly as Raising or Mucking as in determining what to do with the Gap Concept.

I hope I get many replies with thorough and specific instructions.

I know things " depend " a lot, but you have all been at that table before where one or two players limp in almost every hand. How did you properly handle this? Tell me!!!

Well scenario 1 is an easy lay down. Not really worth playing unless it's a keep the pot small type of 2nd limp and see what happens. I know this gives you very little info, but, the real option is folding here.

As for scenario 2. The limper tho has proven time and time again to just limp, and see flops, and has thus gotten this far. I'd say, either shove or fold. I'm for folding as the limper is down to 20 BB, and you still have blinds to act as well. Remember that you want to shove w/ said hands when in an uncontested pot, even the uber limper is a live opponent to the pot. Just my opinion so, GL all.

PokerOwned Master
    since its jcolee i just limp because if i hit im good b/c i know hes gonna fire b/c thats how he plays. i know he has run well of late, major heater. but he is a bit reckess at times. if u dont hit, its easy to dump despite the blinds situation

PokerOwned Pro
    in senerio 1 its early i would always fold, but in senerio 2 A10 six handed is an above average hand and its a tough decision that depends on what type of players r at your table

PokerOwned Master
    Scenario 1 The tournament has just started, so the BB ratio to stack size is very high. You are dealt Q-J s in late pos. This is a hand you would raise if it is folded to you, and fold if raised before you. However, how does one correctly handle a limp, or multiple limpers as is so often demonstrated early on.

Scenario 2 The tournament is down to 16 players, your table has 6 players and 5 players have about 7 BB's at 500/1000 Stakes. The 6th player happens to be our friend Jcolee sitting with 20 BBs. Jcolee is in Early Position, you are in Late. Your hole cards A-10 s. A good blind stealing hand at this point, but you know Jcolee has limped in. What to do?????

Scenario 1. I never go into a hand unless I am willing to raise to go into the hand. Since this is the beginning of a tourney, at most I would bet 60 to get rid of any limpers. Then if the flop did not produce a queen or jack, I could always fold the hand to a raise.

Scenario 2 . That's what my opponent had the other night when I had King Jack. He took me out of the tourney. In this situation, I would bite my tongue and fold. I would hop I'd only go in if I had pocket pairs.