Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $64301.09

Knight-Lieutenant

A note on reading poker books

As far as skill goes, i think that it is 30 percent strategy, and 70 percent instinct/tells
    By strategy I mean true correct plays that work in the long run, this you learn from poker books such as supersystem. However, when you are reading you should keep your mind open (usually the author will actually tell you this in the foreword of the book) to all the different exceptions in certain situations.
    For example, in super system 1, Mike Caro says that you dont get paid to win pots, you get paid to make good decisions. He even goes so far to say that he tries to not win pots. At first this kind of makes me want to tighten up, and not try to bluff so much,
    However, if the time comes where you know your opponent's weak, i think you should risk a good amount on a bluff to make him fold. I honestly think books are more of guidelines rather than a step by step explanation on how to play
    play poker client 1/2 with me

That and these pros arent talking micro stakes like 90% of the people play. The skills in them books are designed for the pro players or how the play against other pros. Not against donks or the average player. These are for players with millions and are not affraid to lose thousands in a session.Granted you cant play with scared money but theres a HUGE difference in their money and ours.
    Failing to Prepare is Preparing to fail : John Wooden

PokerOwned God
    Quote Originally Posted by abwil2 View Post
    That and these pros arent talking micro stakes like 90% of the people play. The skills in them books are designed for the pro players or how the play against other pros. Not against donks or the average player. These are for players with millions and are not affraid to lose thousands in a session.Granted you cant play with scared money but theres a HUGE difference in their money and ours.
    I know what you are saying and more or less have said similar in other threads. There are plenty of books out there that ARE geared toward the micros and give more appropriate strategies. Google/Amazon search Ed Miller for example.

Well you can't read a book and then just automatically become a "poker god". Books propose ideas, they go into detail about these ideas, they show you how to apply these ideas. It's your job to figure out the who, what, when, where, why that comes with all this. Pokers a game full of misinformation, it's your job to figure out the puzzle
    "Baby tomato starts lagging behind. Pappa tomato gets angry, goes over to the baby tomato, and smooshes him... and says, Catch up."

Elite PokerOwned Member RWPFhero's Avatar
    A lot of variables involved. The Buy-In, Bank Roll. Reads on your opponents. etc. But surely you can learn different ideas from different books.

PokerOwned Master
    Any good book will layout a series of situations with mathematically optimum plays being suggested. I the author is really writing a good book he will then tell you to adjust these plays depending on your own style/ table rep. All the books are guidelines and you must adjust their suggestions to your own playing style.

PokerOwned Demi-God
    Any good book will layout a series of situations with mathematically optimum plays being suggested.