Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70091.69

No Chat when All In

Why can't we chat when there is an all in player? Can someone explain this rule that many sites have? I don't understand the purpose of it.

You can certainly do this in live games. In fact, many decisions in all in situations in live games are dependent upon how opps react to talking. Sure the online environment is different, but how does that justify this rule? I don't get it.

It's to prevent collusion. If one is all-in and two others are in the hand, it is normal to check it down unless one of the non-all-in players hits a hand. But it is collusion to say "let's check it down to put out the short stack".

PokerOwned Pro
    It also keeps other players from trying to influence decisions with chat. Certainly in a live tournament, you'd never see a player go all in and then have the rest of the table shouting, "Call that bluff!!" or "I mucked an Ace!" but the anonymity of online poker is sometimes too much for a fool to bear. It has less to do with you trying to elicit a response from the all-in player, and more with you not having to deal with chatter from everyone else.

PokerOwned Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHaversham View Post
    It also keeps other players from trying to influence decisions with chat. Certainly in a live tournament, you'd never see a player go all in and then have the rest of the table shouting, "Call that bluff!!" or "I mucked an Ace!" but the anonymity of online poker is sometimes too much for a fool to bear. It has less to do with you trying to elicit a response from the all-in player, and more with you not having to deal with chatter from everyone else.
    Never really thought about this till the other day when I jammed the river with 10 high on an aq358 board. I put the guy on pretty much what he had and we were on a payjump bubble in the 4k. Anyway, dude time banked it for the longest time then then another player at the table talked him into calling.(imo) Anyway, he called with 10/10.......He may of made the call anyway, but when you are bluffing the last thing you want is for some other fuck head at the table to tell the guy your are bluffing to call......I now wish all sites had that the no chat when your all in feature. lol

This could happen when not all in as well. That's hardly an argument imo.

I Gots You Dominated MovingFlea's Avatar
    probably to keep other players from asking "what do you have" before they call.
    Your hole cards are the least important factor in Texas hold'em.
    -MovingFlea

PokerOwned Master
    plus they also don't want the Jamie Gold effect of the player all-in telling players what he has. There are a lot of reasons which are fine with me.

PokerOwned Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonv12 View Post
    This could happen when not all in as well. That's hardly an argument imo.
    I wasn't arguing with you, I was answering your query. If you don't want answers, don't ask. I'm not wondering if this is the reason, I know for a fact that it is. At least it was for old Party Poker, and other sites followed suit. Why don't you simply do what I did and ask the site directly?

This is a common theme in these forums, for a person to ask a question or ask for opinions, and then respond negatively when the answer/opinion doesn't match what they wanted to hear. So sorry to disappoint, lol.

I wasn't arguing with you, I was answering your query. If you don't want answers, don't ask. I'm not wondering if this is the reason, I know for a fact that it is. At least it was for old Party Poker, and other sites followed suit. Why don't you simply do what I did and ask the site directly?

This is a common theme in these forums, for a person to ask a question or ask for opinions, and then respond negatively when the answer/opinion doesn't match what they wanted to hear. So sorry to disappoint, lol.
    I didn't mean argument as in you arguing, I meant argument in that's a dumb reason from the site's point of view, not yours.

I think pretty much everyone has nailed it. It is to prevent other players from influencing the action. In live games you would get in trouble for influencing the action, but online is not regulated to such detail so most of the sites choose to block chat when it is most likely players will use chat in a way that is considered dishonest to the game. Sure, this can happen at any other point in the game, but a player's tournament life is only on the line when they are all in. Even if you have 1 chip you could theoretically make a comeback, but it's over once you're out, and that could cause the site more drama then they want to deal with by allowing chat when a player is all in.