Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70626.36

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Near the Bubble -- Specifically in PO Freerolls

Fore-warning, this post is for more technical, involved and committed players which are rare on here lol:

How does one combat being card dead and short stacked near the bubble? I mean when I'm playing a little bit bigger game, I tend to steal blinds to keep myself afloat and keep my fold equity, of course on a PO Freeroll, that isn't really possible and is a conflict with a tighter style of play for me.

Then again, I obviously can't get my money in bad and a stop-and-go type approach will only work against more passive players, which again is rare in these fields.

This presents an issue for me and I seem to repeatedly go out near the bubble, which is frustrating.

Would taking more chances earlier on be a reasonable solution?

Or does someone experienced or with PO success have some advice?

For example my results in the last week: 7th (required two late coin flips), 11th, 11th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 31st, 48th.

I feel like all these near bubble results can be warranted to me doing something wrong in some aspects, but I felt so card dead in my play review? I just don't know?

In further note: my VPIP in PO events is 22% and my PR is 9%, so I don't think being overly nitty is my issue either? (My analysis shows that those on here that repeatedly cash however have even lower VPIPs than me and many of them Fold to C-Bets 80%+ of the time.)

Hmm...
    Last edited by jasonv12; 04-16-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Banned
    I dont know about others but I get just a little more aggressive towards the bubble if my stack is decent, most people tighten up, I steal blinds etc. Play position, and this might not work in po freerolls though, because of the donks lol. If I'm short stacked of course I tighten up and hope for the best.

My motto: Play to win not mini cash.

If I have a short stack when I get close to bubble I fold a lot of hands. I have made it to FT with 300 chips in the PO tournaments and then go on mad run. If I have chips I try to steal blinds but it is hard to do in these tournies. A lot of players in the PO tournies like to play ATC.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesUp1439 View Post
    If I have a short stack when I get close to bubble I fold a lot of hands. I have made it to FT with 300 chips in the PO tournaments and then go on mad run. If I have chips I try to steal blinds but it is hard to do in these tournies. A lot of players in the PO tournies like to play ATC.
    ATC poker sucks balls. lol

fold wen u do not WANT to, and make moves wen u HAVE to

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

PokerOwned Master
    Well I've only played 2 tournaments, so I do not really qualify as an experienced member, but what I do have to say is that in each of those tournaments I places. 1st tournament I made 1st, 2nd tournament I placed 3rd. What I have learned on these shorter condensed tournaments is that you have to play tighter in the 1st half before the break (On PS, as I do not play on other sites). The blinds combat this strategy as they change every 15 minutes. After this you will find your stack to be less than others and about 1/3 of the people left out of the tournament. This is the best time to raise your stack because you are most vulnerable which you can use to your benefit. Just a strategy, and to avoid the bubble, try to use the Dealer button and your position on the table to your advantage, don't be afraid to push allin with a decent hand.

I find that in the faster blind structures that you can wait longer than you normally would before being pressured to make a move because so many other players are also short stacked and all the short stacks are looking for their spot to double or nothing.

PokerOwned Master
    i always hate the bubble because happens so often that i loose with big startinghands against donks, but never mind thta is poker

PokerOwned Demi-God
    you have range of hands owt youplay on buble read some books

Seasoned Veteran
    First off, I have to give my disclaimer. As director of Bad Ideas Adventure Camp, I feel the best advice I can give you is to never take advice from someone like me...

I sort of like what you're saying about taking a few more chances early... I try to go with the mindset of "good odds, this is a decent situation, so little more willing to play, Rather go out early than spend 2-3 hours playing hard and go out near bubble!!" Not loosening up early, just maybe a little bit more willing to see if that's a warm fuzzy feeling or indigestion. That said if I still end up in that short stack, "near bubble" situation I really do just look for position with the early position raiser with multiple callers then I become the ATC idiot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast