Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70841.68

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Low player cooperation (no check down)

Low player cooperation (no check down)

Recently I noticed a new trend while playing tournaments in the money.

Maybe it's just me but player cooperation is very low these days. (i.e. no check down when a short stack is allin)

Often I see people overbetting and trying to scare other players off the pot even if they have nothing to showdown. They allow the shortstack to survive. Seems like a -EV strategy.

Mark em as a donk. I'm sure there are other holes in their game you can earn some chips off of. Personally, I will make some small bets if I think I have a better hand then the other big stack. I simply don't want to miss an opportunity to earn chips. Or I could potentially try and steal if the side pot is more than the chips I have invested. As far as being a -EV strategy, I find it easier to build my stack by playing more people with shorter stacks then having fewer players still remaining with larger stacks.

First we have to get the protocol straight. If the short is all-in and you don't catch a strong hand, then yes, it's considered good form, but more importantly, is just smarter, to check it down. But if you hit top pair with a good kicker or 2 pair or some other good hand, damn straight better bet it or the other guy will just suck out on you. If you end up tripling up the short from that, too bad.

PokerOwned Pro
    I agree that checking it down isn't always optimal. If there is enough money in the side pot to make it worth betting junk, it worth at least trying to steal on one street.

Elite PokerOwned Member
    The side pot has to be greater than what you put in...otherwise there is no reason to bet unless you have a made hand. Not only poker etiquette but just common sense, and most true freeloaders don't know or understand that concept cause they've never seen a live poker table in their lives...lol

PokerOwned Master
    It depends on blinds, position and trny status... side pots have their time for moves, but what is your read on the others?

PokerOwned Master
    I can't stand it when players bet into a DRY pot when another player is all in and they don't have a hand yet. Wastes a bet and lowers the chances of eliminating the player as well. DO NOT bet into a pot unless you have the nuts. You won't win the pot anyway so why bet? Makes no sense to me.

PokerOwned Demi-God
    yea some people are just plain out stupid!!

PokerOwned Veteran
    this happens quite regularly on these levels

PokerOwned God
    Quote Originally Posted by HopsnBarley28 View Post
    First we have to get the protocol straight. If the short is all-in and you don't catch a strong hand, then yes, it's considered good form, but more importantly, is just smarter, to check it down. But if you hit top pair with a good kicker or 2 pair or some other good hand, damn straight better bet it or the other guy will just suck out on you. If you end up tripling up the short from that, too bad.
    Very true. It's smart to check down if you just have a weak hand, like bottom pair or just high card, but you can't check down if you have a strong hand. If someone did that, most would think collusion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast