Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70769.27

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Elite PokerOwned Member GottImHimmel's Avatar

Exclamation Donk Betting/ Leading out on Turn Out of Position in Tournaments

So I've read in books that "If you find someone who Donk Bets, It's Generally the sign of a Weak Player" The Raiser's Edge, I believe is where i found that quote and I've also read articles from online experts about how because most players generally do not know how to react to it, it should be done with some frequency.

My opinion? I tend to agree with the latter, but it depends. I personally only lead the betting OOP for two reasons: 1. I had the betting lead pre-flop, and was called down by player(s) IP. 2. The Flop (Turn too, sometimes) is very dry, or has an ace, where you believe you could represent. If these two things happen in the same hand, then i will at least 75% of the time donk bet. If only one happens, maybe 50% of the time I will donk bet.

Notes: These suggestions are only for Tournament (SnG included) style play.

Donk bets as semi-bluffs are strong bets, because they allow you to: Gain information on your opponents' holding, give you another alley of winning (him folding), and might give you odds to see another card.

DO NOT tend to donk bet middle pairs/medium strength holdings.

Try to avoid donk bettings LAG types or maniacs, simply put, they'll shut you up real fast.

Do NOT donk bet as a bluff if it pot commits you.

DONK bet often on Check-Check flops where a brick hits the turn.

DONK bet between 2/3, 3/4 of the pot. You want to take it down generally right there on the spot.

FINAL NOTE These are my own opinions, I am not liable for your losses if you employ them and things do not work out. However, please do respond with any and all criticisms.
    "Power is my mistress. I have worked too hard at her conquest to allow anyone to take her away from me." - Napoléon Bonaparte

PokerOwned Veteran
    I bet out of turn a few times when I first started playing. I had a good hand and was eager to bet. Everyone pretty much read me as strong and steered clear. I have never tried it on purpose.

One thing i really like about leading OOP on the flop is that you can bet if you hit the flop hard, and depending on the players in position one of them might re-raise you using their "position". THis is one of my favourite plays in poker as then you can check the turn and they are forced to make large bet on the turn to get you off your hand and you can simply shove over the top and they cant call. (this strategy relies on you having something close to the nuts.)

Saying that more often then not i like to play passively when OOP on the flop. That way if your weak you can fold if people in the hand show strength, and if your strong depending on how they play before you, you can make ur mind up how to play to try and get max value out of your hand.

Basically i dont think there is a set way to play a hand OOP on the flop. My advice to you would be to pick a way you would like to play OOP post flop. Stick to out through thick and thin and get used to how people play back at you. After some time you will then be familar with how people react to your play and then you can adjust your strategy accordingly to get the upper hand on them. Obv everyone is diff and will react to you differently but in the long run this should give you a good understanding of how to react to people when you check OOP, which might even give you a better understanding of how to play when you bet OOP.

If you make a raise before flop, then it is indicated to do a c-bet after the flop, even if it doesn't help you the flop. But also you can't do that if there are more then 3 opponents that called your raise before flop. And if after you make the c-bet someone raise you, then you probably should fold. There are a lot more to discuss over the possibilities with this strategy. But is very interesting to know it.

Anyway this is a nice post.
    Carpe diem!

Elite PokerOwned Member
    i find when the player keeps betting high the have crap for hands

PokerOwned God
    i agree they maybe tring to bet u out of hand

Elite PokerOwned Member GottImHimmel's Avatar
    I am responding to drudge this thread back up. Respond on!
    "Power is my mistress. I have worked too hard at her conquest to allow anyone to take her away from me." - Napoléon Bonaparte

imo donk betting OP gives ur opponents more info then u gain but as prawney said make sure u have the nuts or close to it..
    Failing to Prepare is Preparing to fail : John Wooden

PokerOwned God
    nice information and discussion, thanks for this.

PokerOwned Demi-God
    I dont think its donk betting if u were the aggreser preflop and now betting first.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast