Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70699.93

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PokerOwned Veteran

Micro stakes blinds play

I'm wondering how wide my range should be when completing in SB and callin min raises in BB. The stakes are $.02/$0.4 and there is constant min raising which presents spots where i have marginal cards but crazy pot odds in excess of 7-1.
    He who makes a beast of himself takes away the pain of being a man

Quote Originally Posted by mpulsive07 View Post
    I'm wondering how wide my range should be when completing in SB and callin min raises in BB. The stakes are $.02/$0.4 and there is constant min raising which presents spots where i have marginal cards but crazy pot odds in excess of 7-1.
    personally i wouldnt bet on anything for a while (except premium hands) until u get a feel for the players on the table, there will be 3 catagorys serious grinders donks and people like yourself, you can usually spot which these are early on and with this info can pick your spots better
    i believe that on cash tables it is less about the hand and more the player due to the fact that there is no pressure considering blinds never increase, play when you are confident and avoid shoving pre if you can help it
    17:51 <PooffyFooffy> not everyone screws up things the way I can
    20:27 <PooffyFooffy> I could use all the help I can get, lol
    <PooffyFooffy>lol I have my share of duh moments, regularly, lol

I personally Believe that your range should be somewhere between 20 to 30% completing the SB and 20 to 30% at least min raising outta the SB if you are first to come in.

If you Hand justifies the pot odds in the BB i would call the min raise ie giving your example 7-1 i would call all min raises where you are at least 30% to win the hand

PokerOwned Veteran
    Ppl like me? what category is that? And very rarely shovin pre
    He who makes a beast of himself takes away the pain of being a man

Ppl like me? what category is that? And very rarely shovin pre
    n00bs and average players, people who are venturing in for the first time etc i mean im assuming you are not a donk and if your having to ask these sorts of questions your not a serious grinder thus you are a third catagory of player the "inbetweener" you are not the only one in this sort of a position
    17:51 <PooffyFooffy> not everyone screws up things the way I can
    20:27 <PooffyFooffy> I could use all the help I can get, lol
    <PooffyFooffy>lol I have my share of duh moments, regularly, lol

PokerOwned Veteran
    nubs nibs nabs, paepol ho suks at ds meikro bleind duno wat i sey meiself

Seasoned Veteran
    Most of your money at the the microstakes is made from postflop not from stealing blinds preflop. What one blind is like 2c lol.

Personally, I very rarely complete the small blind so I couldn't give advice on a range. Depending on table dynamics, I would have to have suited connectors, like 4 or 5 previous callers, and a villain in the pot I feel will stack often enough when I do hit. With less limpers before you I feel that the positional disadvantage post flop, as well as having a marginal hand isn't worth the extra SB.

Basically the same holds true to me for calling a minbet in the BB; good implied odds hand, huge pot odds, and a villain stacking light enough post flop.

I am much more inclined to open or raise any hand that I am going to be playing in the blinds, and more likely to limp behind or call a raise when in late position preflop. In the blinds I would generally be playing much tighter due to being out of position post flop. When facing a minbet steal attempt I would tend to play a wider range, but would still be raising.

Experienced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Slice View Post
    Personally, I very rarely complete the small blind so I couldn't give advice on a range. Depending on table dynamics, I would have to have suited connectors, like 4 or 5 previous callers, and a villain in the pot I feel will stack often enough when I do hit. With less limpers before you I feel that the positional disadvantage post flop, as well as having a marginal hand isn't worth the extra SB.

Basically the same holds true to me for calling a minbet in the BB; good implied odds hand, huge pot odds, and a villain stacking light enough post flop.

I am much more inclined to open or raise any hand that I am going to be playing in the blinds, and more likely to limp behind or call a raise when in late position preflop. In the blinds I would generally be playing much tighter due to being out of position post flop. When facing a minbet steal attempt I would tend to play a wider range, but would still be raising.
    Think J-Slice has a pretty good explanation. I feel I complete SB too often with "what the hell, i might flop a boat". Sure, I might, but more often then not I'll end up with a weak pair and get too confident. Best to just let it slide unless you meet most of the requirements J-Slice suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by johnyutah View Post
    Think J-Slice has a pretty good explanation. I feel I complete SB too often with "what the hell, i might flop a boat". Sure, I might, but more often then not I'll end up with a weak pair and get too confident. Best to just let it slide unless you meet most of the requirements J-Slice suggests.
    Yeah I feel that completing the small blind in general is a leak. Of course there are times where conditions can make it a profitable play, but those times are very rare. I use to do it far too often until I reviewed my database with a profitable mid stakes player and that was one of the first leaks he found, playing too wide in the blinds without a solid reason. I tightened up in the blinds and opened up more in LP and it had a positive effect on my BB/100. I also found myself in less tough spots post flop being OOP with a marginal hand.

I hear the same reasoning from poker friends (read poker fish lol) on why they are limping/completing the small blind with very marginal hands. "I have two suited cards, I could flop a flush!" Sure you can, but the odds of flopping a flush with any two suited hole cards is ~118-1. The odds of flopping a boat (using both hole cards) with a non-paired hand is ~1090-1, etc. The odds just aren't there to justify that as your sole reason for calling.

The odds of flopping a draw are much greater, but you have to know how you are going to play that draw profitably versus the different opponents in the hand. In regards to the OP, about playing in the blinds, it is going to make it very difficult to play a draw post flop having a positional disadvantage throughout the rest of the hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast