Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70146.36

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

General rules of thumb

Forced to go all in when running out of chips

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are the general rules of thumb ?

Let's say blinds are $5/$10 with no Ante and you have $50 in chips left.
    You will survive 3 more rounds of small and big blind. ($15x3=$45)
    That means you have 30 more hands left in a table of 10 players.
    (Assuming the blinds are fixed for now)

So, there really is no urgency in pushing all in, right?

It's more clear when you are on your last round and the next set of blinds will bankrupt you, so then it's more clear to just go all in with a J8 or whatever, since odds are, you won't get such a high card in the next few hands.

But, when you have a few rounds left, don't panic, right?

I tend to shove with any 2 cards with combined value of 15+
    Is that correct play?

For me 10 bb left,,, any ace ,,, any pair.
    " JUST KILLIN TIME,,, WAITING FOR TIME TO KILL ME,,,"

PokerOwned Veteran
    under ten big blinds shove if it looks good

PokerOwned Demi-God
    I think the rule is 10bb then its time to panic and shove with any ace any pair or any suited connector!

PokerOwned God
    play em like you got a pair i guess. if you down to your last blind, well pick a hand and choose wisely i guess. hope for the best.

your goal isnt just to double up necessarily when just the blinds and antes can increase your stack by 20%+ without actually risking your tournament, think about that. sometimes a 3/7 off in the sb is worth the all in with 4-6 bbs once antes kick in. it just varies, but you want fold equity (enough chips to shove and not give marginal hands that know they are worse the odds to call anyways). folding to 3 bbs is dangerous you'll almost always have to draw cards for your tournament life

PokerOwned Pro
    I disagree with that...okay yes u have 30 hands left but lets say u wait and shove on the 22nd hand. okay now u win bc u waited but what do u have now. Nothing ur back were u started with a major short stack. and the blinds are getting ready to go up. The 10bb rule is very bendable. heres why... late in a tourney a lot of ppl barely have 15bb and they are in the top ten...so the 10 bb rule is really effective depending on the stage of the tourney. mid to bubble then yes 10 bb rule is effective..but after bubble i would say that goes in half bc when u shove with it you have enough chips to make ppl only call u with premium hands and they are trying to make it as far as they can so they dont want to call anything. so u get the blinds and antes and u just went up a good amout of chips...bubble play is the same way about ppl folding easy..but the 10x bb rule is there bc if its early then u have to make a move to get chips or u dont have a shot of winning it.. and u cant win it without chips

PokerOwned God
    If you're under 10 big blinds, lower your range and be prepared to push all in.

under 10 bb's is time to think about pushing but way too many think thats its push with any 2, yes thats true for gamblers but poker player will try to take a pot when they can and push marginal hands not just BS hands, big difference!
    Failing to Prepare is Preparing to fail : John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by SyKoChiller View Post
    Forced to go all in when running out of chips

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are the general rules of thumb ?

Let's say blinds are $5/$10 with no Ante and you have $50 in chips left.
    You will survive 3 more rounds of small and big blind. ($15x3=$45)
    That means you have 30 more hands left in a table of 10 players.
    (Assuming the blinds are fixed for now)

So, there really is no urgency in pushing all in, right?

It's more clear when you are on your last round and the next set of blinds will bankrupt you, so then it's more clear to just go all in with a J8 or whatever, since odds are, you won't get such a high card in the next few hands.

But, when you have a few rounds left, don't panic, right?

I tend to shove with any 2 cards with combined value of 15+
    Is that correct play?

The rule of thumb is if you have less than 10 big blinds you should shove with any two cards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast