Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $64056.2

PokerOwned Veteran

What is a high 3bet% in micro MTT's?

Hi everyone,

I have question. I play a lot of MTT's (full ring) on Micro stakes. One of the things I was taught is that whens stealing blinds, I should also check the 3 bet % of the SB and/or BB.
    This makes sense of course, but what is considered a high and low % ? is 5% a lot? 10? 20? At this moment I do not have any reference so I find it difficult to use this in my decisions.

All serious replies are welcome

Thx.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

PokerOwned Pro
    You should still attempt to steal blinds no matter how high their 3b% is. You just have to adjust by c/4b'ing wider. Assuming you have enough hands on vil, 5% isn't that high. At that rate its safe to say the players very rarely 3b'ing light. I see 8-12% often and those are the players who are 3bing wide (mostly ip). Players higher than that are reckless and easy to exploit imo.
    Last edited by oVITOo; 04-05-2013 at 09:53 AM.

[QUOTE=PokerDonV73;247170]Hi everyone,

I have question. I play a lot of MTT's (full ring) on Micro stakes. One of the things I was taught is that whens stealing blinds, I should also check the 3 bet % of the SB and/or BB.
    This makes sense of course, but what is considered a high and low % ? is 5% a lot? 10? 20? At this moment I do not have any reference so I find it difficult to use this in my decisions.

I am assuming you talking about a button open in an unopened pot. It all depends on what size you plan on opening from the button. In the pre-antes levels blind stealing isn't all that important. Everything is relevant, so it is difficult to give the perfect answer. Your goal should be to have 40bb's near the bubble. Having 40bb's will allow you to call small AI shoves where you figure to have a decent edge. Poker is about risk/reward, and it couldn't be more true than in mtt's. Getting back to your question though. In micro mtt's, players aren't likely to 3bet oop vs a button open. Micro stakes players have a difficult time playing oop, and generally are to passive in these types of situations. If you get 3bet in a button vs blind confrontation without history, it's almost always a fold. If and when you get to the midstakes, the answer to your question should become a little clearer. Playing ABC poker @ the micros is optimal. Tight is right. Don't try to be some high-stakes baller and try to emulate tv play, it generally isn't optimally.
    Generally I like to play only premium hands regardless of position, for the first 3-4 orbits. This allows me to size my opponents up. You will easily figure out the players who are multi-tabling, as well as identify the novice players. Using a HUD is a very useful tool, and I like your question and where your head is at. If you notice a player in the blinds likes to flat a lot of opens vs HJ/CO/BTN raises, then if you open it needs to be for value. Generally speaking these players are loose passive, and will check/fold when you throw a cbet out post-flop. In those cases you should open 3x bb, as you want to get as many chips in as possible. You need to be cognoscente of your stack size relative to what the pot is, and what the pot potentially could be on future streets. Play ABC poker @ the micro's and put in volume, and you should succeed.

PokerOwned Veteran
    Thanks sickread23 (and others) for your deep answer. It does make a lot of sense.

PokerOwned Demi-God
    dont steal to much people notice then day call are rereise more ofen

Very informative...thanks for your candor...maybe you should write a book

[QUOTE=sickread23;247183]
    Quote Originally Posted by PokerDonV73 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am assuming you talking about a button open in an unopened pot. It all depends on what size you plan on opening from the button. In the pre-antes levels blind stealing isn't all that important. Everything is relevant, so it is difficult to give the perfect answer. Your goal should be to have 40bb's near the bubble. Having 40bb's will allow you to call small AI shoves where you figure to have a decent edge. Poker is about risk/reward, and it couldn't be more true than in mtt's. Getting back to your question though. In micro mtt's, players aren't likely to 3bet oop vs a button open. Micro stakes players have a difficult time playing oop, and generally are to passive in these types of situations. If you get 3bet in a button vs blind confrontation without history, it's almost always a fold. If and when you get to the midstakes, the answer to your question should become a little clearer. Playing ABC poker @ the micros is optimal. Tight is right. Don't try to be some high-stakes baller and try to emulate tv play, it generally isn't optimally.
    Generally I like to play only premium hands regardless of position, for the first 3-4 orbits. This allows me to size my opponents up. You will easily figure out the players who are multi-tabling, as well as identify the novice players. Using a HUD is a very useful tool, and I like your question and where your head is at. If you notice a player in the blinds likes to flat a lot of opens vs HJ/CO/BTN raises, then if you open it needs to be for value. Generally speaking these players are loose passive, and will check/fold when you throw a cbet out post-flop. In those cases you should open 3x bb, as you want to get as many chips in as possible. You need to be cognoscente of your stack size relative to what the pot is, and what the pot potentially could be on future streets. Play ABC poker @ the micro's and put in volume, and you should succeed.

PokerOwned Master
    check acoimbra's videos because he is doing a nice work, about his MTTs on Youtube