Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70146.36

Banned

WSOP Retires Fun Police

WSOP Retires Fun Police
    By Dan Katz - May 9th, 2012

BULLDOZERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

It appears that World Series of Poker (WSOP) officials are going to lighten up and let the players have a little fun this year. In a conference call Tuesday, WSOP representatives discussed some changes to what had previously been strict rules governing behavior at the tables.

One of the biggest complaints from players last year was the damper that was put on table talk. Players were allowed to chat, but they were not permitted to discuss the contents of their own or their opponent?s hand, even when heads-up in a pot. Most talk of active hands is still disallowed, but the rule has been modified. ?You can say whatever you want about the contents of your hand and disclose the contents of your hand as long as you don?t show your cards and as long as no other player in a hand has a decision to make,? said WSOP Tournament Director Jack Effel.

?If a player is all-in and there?s no one left to act, you can say, ?I have two aces and a flush draw. I know I have you beat,?? he elaborated. ?Obviously, there will be errors, but we?re trying to get you guys to loosen up a bit and talk. We still want to protect against soft play and collusion.?

Daniel Negreanu, known for his table banter, was an extremely vocal opponent of the ?no table talk? rule last year, letting his feelings be known during live broadcasts of tournaments, via Twitter, and on his blog.

?Over 99% of table talk is completely unrelated to collusion, which appears to be the one and only reason that the TDA [Tournament Director?s Association] added this rule,? Negreanu wrote on his blog at FullContactPoker.com last August. ?The biggest lie that?s being told is that if you get rid of this rule, you make collusion legal. That is just not true. Collusion and soft play is illegal. It was before this rule was implemented, and I imagine it always will be.?

?Part of what makes poker interesting is the ability to look at your opponent and gauge whether or not they look like they are bluffing or not,? he added later. ?It is undoubtedly a poker skill. This rule infringes upon a skill that?s been used since poker?s inception and is one of the sexier aspects to the game, not to mention the viewing public.?

WSOP officials appear to have seen the light and have admitted that they were a bit too draconian with the rule?s enforcement. WSOP Executive Director Ty Stewart said, ?We?ve tightened poker up so much that players are afraid to use verbal strategy to out-man their opponents, which has been integral to poker. It takes poker back to its fundamental basis and its strategic intent. As a result, you get good TV.?

The WSOP is also loosening up when it comes to celebrations at the table. Poker fans may remember the often maniacal-looking histrionics from online star Hevad ?RaiNKhAN? Khan during his run to the final table of the 2007 WSOP Main Event. His act after winning big hands wasn?t looked upon kindly by tournament officials, so they put the clamps on future celebrations. That strict policy, too, has changed. While players need to keep their dances of joy within some sort of reason, emotion is now permitted.

?There were cases last year where celebrations were penalized,? admitted Stewart. ?A poker room isn?t a church. We just think we need to set the tone to bring some of the fun back.?

Want the latest poker news in your twitter feed? Follow PokerNewsDaily on Twitter.

PokerOwned Veteran
    I can see them outlawing the bad sportsmanship but I agree with Daniel on his not being able to discuss his hand out loud.

Elite PokerOwned Member maxima191's Avatar
    Who cares anyway
    "Take My Bankroll-Plz!"

PokerOwned Veteran
    I wonder if they will let the gallery have any fun this year?

yeah the gallery can call out all the players hands. lol
    A bad attitude is just like a car with a flat tire, "You aren't going anywhere unless you change it."

PokerOwned Veteran
    They wouldn't let us drink the last 1/2 of last year!

PokerOwned Master
    Yeah....i wondered how long it would take 'em to realize that half of highstakes poker is the benchwork and Hollywood that goes on. If players can't setup a few intentional 'tells' or verbally bluff out a hand, let's all just play 2 card guts.

Hace cuanto fue publicado o anunciado esto hace mucho no eh

PokerOwned Demi-God
    some ppl jus like their own privacy whch must b respect we dont care much bt media need to run their business.