Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $64809.9

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TON is Gone.

PokerOwned MOD Priorities.....

Having the luxury of working from a home office I am able to be here on PO in one form or another 16 hrs a day, sometimes more. Perhaps I have no life, but that is a mater aside.

The thrust of this writ is to question the MODs on what they consider to be "important" in terms of maintaining a drama free environment in CHAT, and protecting the image of this site.

I ask this because I regularly see racial, homophobic, misogynistic terms used in chat. Only rarely relative to the number of those occurrences do I see warnings issued to those using such terms. Threats of violence are common place as well, the likes and frequency of which were they uttered in a more public forum would spark some measure of law enforcement involvement.

(By public I mean more popular as there is little to prevent ANYONE from viewing PO chat if they want to. As for Law enforcement, I did at one time work for The Toronto Star and we regularly involved local, and even Provincial authorities where threats of violence were repeatedly uttered by some individuals who used our online services.)

It is usually (though not always) the same people day after day after day here..... most of the time they get warnings, often several. Sometimes those warnings are headed, often they are not and a 30 min ban is given. How effective is this? Well the answer is usually in the question. In this case if the question has to be asked then it obviously isn't very effective at all. Evidence the same individuals getting banned regularly for the same reasons they were banned the last time, and the time before that. What is most amusing is that rather then these individuals getting banned for longer periods for repeated violations, they seem to get longer and longer leashes before they get banned the next time. I don't want to mention any one individual here but I am certain we can all think of examples in our head. I'll provide a few privately to any MOD who wishes to challenge this assertion.

The question will be asked of me, as it has been asked of me before "What do you want us to do?", I feel the answer is never taken seriously or brought forward by any of the MODS save for one who at least listens. I get the impression however that they meet resistance to change from the other MODs who I frankly see as being more concerned with maintaining friendships and avoiding confrontation. Back to the question though....

What do I want....

I want a clear set of guidelines as to what is and is not acceptable in main chat... not the current moving set of goal posts. I guess what I am saying is that this site is getting big, growing up. ZAB would find it much easier to deal with people like whorebot for example, if he had a Terms Of Service (TOS) that one had to agree to as part of the sign in procedure. Call it a Code Of Conduct if you prefer.

I want a measured and even handed enforcement of the above, to wit stop with the repeated warnings over and over again. When you do this NOBODY takes you seriously anymore. They will push the limits further and further every time. I know this, I DO THIS...to make a point. Warn once..... in chat AND via PM. That's it.

Stop giving repeated offenders, ABUSERS, license to do the same things day after day after day. If they KNOW they are only getting a 30 min ban each time, they will push the envelope EVERYTIME. How about 30 mins on the first and maybe even the second offence, 60min the third, 24 hrs each thereafter? More serious offences MUST have even harsher consequences. Further, when it gets to the point that people are getting 24 hr bans, their accounts should be given mandatory review for possible perma-ban.

Now, my original question, the subject I raised regarding MOD priorities. I will admit that the trigger for me writing this missive tonight was that I was banned in chat for 30 min. I was banned without warning of any kind for expressing my repeated and undying love of Pooffy. I expressed thusly in four successive entries to main chat which even I would admit could be considered spam. I don't take issue with the ban, and as LIL'G can tell you I was even laughing about it when it happened. I was not laughing out of obstinacy or defiance. Rather, I was laughing at the irony of such a ban given the issues I had partially raised above on previous occasions. It seems that the MODS are more concerned with "BIG PICTURES" and some types of SPAM in chat (but not all, and not always), not to mention being "friends first" with everyone, then they are with any of the issues I raised above. These are Issues I have raised with many of them privately and regularly.

I ask you, what do you think is more likely to drive people away from this site: people who abuse others, or those who sometimes spam chat? Both are ban-able in my books sure, but which deserves INSTABAN?

Before you answer that, let me tell you I am in regular contact with a number of former members of this site on other forums...... I think it is safe to say YOU know the reason they chose to leave. I'm not even touching the painful subject of scams and scammers here.

Lastly, I have taken measures to ensure that this post or it's original content does not simply vanish at the whim of a MOD who doesn't like and/or doesn't understand the nature what I am trying to accomplish with this simple document. If you can read all of the above and somehow reason that I am looking to stir up controversy, I put it to you that you are either completely missing the point or you get the point all to entirely.
    Last edited by TONelson; 01-26-2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: God I miss having an editor
    TON is GONE. Blame the Mods. They stopped caring, or at least that's how it looks and feels.

TON is Gone.
    Five days later and little has changed
    TON is GONE. Blame the Mods. They stopped caring, or at least that's how it looks and feels.

check back in 5 more

20:58 <Poof> I would trade my husband for gisele
    18:37 <thepokerkid> @thepokerkid: and stop thinking about gay things

TON is Gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drywallman3 View Post
    check back in 5 more
    I seriously hope that is a promise of good things to come and not just a flippant response to an honest expression of frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by TONelson View Post
    I seriously hope that is a promise of good things to come and not just a flippant response to an honest expression of frustration.
    it was half and half, every day us mods talk and discuss on how we can help the site and members concerns. Because the community doesnt see it doesnt mean its not happeneing.

Us mods want to make everyone happy and yes maybe our responses are bot like but that is what we can say until we know a better answer.

We do care about the members and the community and try catch the scammers and yes there is a ton of accounts we have to ban on a daily basis.

20:58 <Poof> I would trade my husband for gisele
    18:37 <thepokerkid> @thepokerkid: and stop thinking about gay things

Zab
    Mod priorities..

Keep the peace...

Keep the chat box relatively clean..

About 100 other tasks that go unseen
    "And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord, for thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand. Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_AtUXdXA_s

Elite PokerOwned Member shellabella's Avatar
    Thank you for posting your well written frustration, TON..very nicely put.

Here's my 2 cents..

I wonder, how many good/productive/active/intelligent poker people have been chased away due to some of the negative immature chat, which we have seen or read, on a regular basis. Actually, I think the damage has been long done and very unlikely a lot of the 'good' regulars will reappear, given who would want to spend their free time in such an abusive environment...this should be fun for everyone!(I could expand on this, but choose not to..too lengthy) Of course, everyone will have a slightly different definition of fun, but nonetheless..the chat/forum should be fun. Chat bans are great..if they work. But more often than not, the same people involved will commit the same offence over and over again. There should be limitations..a firm guideline. I do believe the mods do what they can to control some of the nonsense, however, I can see just how difficult the job would be trying to stay on top of all the 'scammers' (never liked that word, but seems to be an easy way to describe the irresponsible) or multi accounters, who choose to waste their time begging for stakes or loans or whatever, not to mention simply creating havoc in a lobby, private messages or whatever.

TON's viewpoint has prompted my thoughts. I like this forum. There are a lot of great people here which is the reason I continue to come back, even if I am not participating as much as I once did. Maybe, just maybe..someday there will be a happy medium so everyone may enjoy the site, the way it was meant.

Happy Pokering!
    Last edited by shellabella; 01-30-2014 at 10:42 PM.

TON is Gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Mod priorities..

Keep the peace...

Keep the chat box relatively clean..

About 100 other tasks that go unseen
    At the risk of offending or sounding condescending... did you even read the original post Zab?

I get that you are busy, and have a hundred and one things to do every time you log in, but you frankly did not address even one of my issues in your response.

Honestly, the fact that I had to raise a stick in chat and bump this 5 day old thread to even get a response from you or one of the MODS is very telling.

Seasoned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TONelson View Post
    At the risk of offending or sounding condescending... did you even read the original post Zab?

I get that you are busy, and have a hundred and one things to do every time you log in, but you frankly did not address even one of my issues in your response.

Honestly, the fact that I had to raise a stick in chat and bump this 5 day old thread to even get a response from you or one of the MODS is very telling.
    lolol

TON is Gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmhookers View Post
    lolol
    I want to thank you for helping to make my point oh so crystal clear. I'm sure after the account you are using today is banned, you will already have another ready to take it's place. Well done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast