Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $64468.26

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PO and car buying

It's stupid and funny at the same time, but I just went car shopping and realized that my market place experience had actually built up my negotiating skills enough to really benefit me. Wasted 2 hours of a sales guy's time today, got to call bullshit on him a couple times, but got the numbers negotiated down to what I wanted. Next week I'll actually take those numbers to the sales guy that was really nice and helpful a few months ago and let him work a little extra magic for his christmas bonus. See if I can turn this from a fair deal to a good deal.

PokerOwned God
    Lol, great story. GL for your further negotiations.

Good Job - I thought I was fairly savvy, but the first car my wife and I bought together taught me better. After about 3 hours, I was happy with the deal and ready to sign. My wife wasn't. We were there 3 more hours (2 hours past their normal closing), got the price dropped by another $1000 (on a Ford Festiva, and this was in 1994!!). I think the guy would have just about given us the damned thing just to get rid of us

Quote Originally Posted by HopsnBarley28 View Post
    Good Job - I thought I was fairly savvy, but the first car my wife and I bought together taught me better. After about 3 hours, I was happy with the deal and ready to sign. My wife wasn't. We were there 3 more hours (2 hours past their normal closing), got the price dropped by another $1000 (on a Ford Festiva, and this was in 1994!!). I think the guy would have just about given us the damned thing just to get rid of us
    Lol, I need to learn from your wife! My first car I was 18 with no cosigner, so I got screwed. Now I have some leverage and am preparing for a fight.

PokerOwned Veteran
    just lay down the cash and call it a day, why in the world would you wanna fight about, it doenst work that way in the netherlands. atleast not with new cars 2nd hand you can argue a bit.

lol nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by bobraven View Post
    just lay down the cash and call it a day, why in the world would you wanna fight about, it doenst work that way in the netherlands. atleast not with new cars 2nd hand you can argue a bit.
    I wish it was that simple! If you pay the sticker price on a car, you're overpaying by several thousand dollars in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonv12 View Post
    lol nice work!
    You're back!!

The real fight will be next Monday. That's when I go in and hold the salesman hostage while I try and rip the dealership off.

Library Master Champion eqgh5uea's Avatar
    Cool story!
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours; two ships, two brigs, one schooner and one sloop." --- O.H. Perry

do you buy car ,orrR?

Bought the car today!! I decided to wait this long so that the dealership didn't have any more decent opportunities to sell cars before the end of the year. They have to pay property tax on all of the cars they have on the lot at the start of the year and I wanted to use that as a major negotiating point. It was a big success, I got exactly what I wanted for the trade-in and purchase price of the car!!! I got a 2013 Prius V (color is blue) for 24k. The cars normal retail price is 27.5, but they were already offering some decent discounts to try and get rid of it, plus some extra haggling got the price down that much. We were able to trade in our 2007 Ford Escape for 5k, after they originally wanted to give us 3.3k. Our trade in already had 135k miles and we discovered it had a rats nest in there plus the rat had chewed up some wires that was triggering some sensor lights. So yeah, happy to get rid of that car before anything went really wrong!!! (again...)

All in all, I'm very happy with how everything went. My husband was in shock, because we walked out paying 2k less than what he was expecting. We didn't even have to spend much time haggling! That was actually probably the quickest part of the process, only took about 30 minutes (loved our sales guy!). We were still there 4-5 hours, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast