Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $66633.19

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PokerOwned Pro

When you fold a over pair???

Full Tilt Pro “Miami” John Cernuto discusses over pairs – when to “pump them” and when to “dump them” – in no-limit hold'em.

I’m here to talk about overpairs - when we get married to them, and when we fold them. It’s about figuring out when to pump them and when to dump them.
    Beginners frequently overvalue overpairs. There are certain situations where they should be very valuable, but there are other situations where they are not very valuable. A lot of it depends on the action preflop and the action on the flop.

Here is a situation that comes up a lot. Let’s say I’m playing $1/$2. I’m in early position and it’s been folded to me and I pick up a pair of aces. My standard raise is usually two and a half to three times the big blind. So in this instance, let’s say I open for $6 and two players to my left and both blinds call. This isn’t exactly what I wanted to happen. I really wanted someone to reraise so that I could raise again, because when you take on one person, it’s a lot different than when you take on four people.

The overpair is no longer very valuable. It’s certainly not as valuable as it was preflop or if it were heads up. The main factor I’m considering now is how much I’m going to bet on particular boards. Here comes a board of with two hearts and it’s checked to me. I’m certainly not going to check and fold in this situation, I could still have the best hand, so I’m definitely going to make a continuation bet in this particular pot. I’m making a pot size bet, about $25-$30 because I really want to find out where I’m at. I don’t want to get married to a pair of aces with this kind of board, so I’m going to make a decision based on the action that comes to me on my bet.

So as I bet the pot, the immediate player on my left calls, which isn’t very threatening, and then after a fold, we are met with a check-raise. Now this is the threatening part right here and this is when it comes down to whether you want to pump it or dump it.
    If my opponent is loose and aggressive, I might reraise. Generally speaking though, when I don’t know who they are or I respect their game, the aces are being dumped at this point.

Sergeant
    Very interesting to know these things...

Elite PokerOwned Member Bastian2607's Avatar
    Ty for this mate, Gl at the tables

PokerOwned Pro
    ty and see ya

PokerOwned Veteran
    most tips arent that usefull i think cause it always depends on history/stats/momentum and other things u cant generalize

PokerOwned Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by raf_reloaded View Post
    most tips arent that usefull i think cause it always depends on history/stats/momentum and other things u cant generalize
    could be

Banned
    in rush i lay down over pairs all the time...

Elite PokerOwned Member
    if you do not have confidence you can not play is the reality

Thanks for the post....I need all the help I can get..
    " JUST KILLIN TIME,,, WAITING FOR TIME TO KILL ME,,,"

Sergeant Major
    thanks for post. interesting help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast