Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70074.43

Experienced Member

What is the best way to play 4's, when out of position, say UTG1 or UTG2?

Call or raise? And if you face a re-raise after your initial raise, then do you call? Any tips, I always lose with 4's and J's.

Elite PokerOwned Member JohnnyDeepStacks's Avatar
    Out of position I might occasionally call a 3x raise with em, depending on the player your calling. If your facing a raiser and a reraiser its insta fold. If you get reraised its time to let go. Lot more depends on a lot of things. The players and if they are loose or tight and their starting hand ranges after you have observed them for a while. Ultimately you want to see a flop as cheap as possible looking for a set. Otherwise its a worthless hand.

JDS boobytrap spelled backwards is partyboob
    PooffyFooffy omg I need to play there more, were u in da game?
    JDS @PooffyFooffy no Pooffy its just a fun fact

Elite PokerOwned Member JohnnyDeepStacks's Avatar
    UTG 1 or 2 I might 3x raise them once in a while to mix it up. Most of the time fold. Hope that helps

JDS boobytrap spelled backwards is partyboob
    PooffyFooffy omg I need to play there more, were u in da game?
    JDS @PooffyFooffy no Pooffy its just a fun fact

Like most situations, it depends on your table a lot. But generally I will raise 3x preflop with them in early position, fold to a significant re-raise. The idea with raising preflop is to tell the table that you have a hand already. If you raise and get callers, you can figure one or more of them are just calling with a weak/moderate ace - if no ace comes on the flop, bet 1/2 to 3/4 the pot and most of them will drop out.

PokerOwned Pro
    Id just limp in, let someone else make the raise and play it out on the flop

Library Master Champion eqgh5uea's Avatar
    any pair is a strong hand since 70% of the time ak, aq, aj wo't hit nething at least with 'real' poker, that is, when they aren't ne pwnage hackers
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours; two ships, two brigs, one schooner and one sloop." --- O.H. Perry

PokerOwned Pro
    Look up set mining on Google, or with the search feature on one of these forums.
    Your question very broad, and can't really be answered as asked. You don't always or never do anything in poker.
    Basically with low PPs you want to see a cheap flop and fit or fold whether you hit your set or not

PokerOwned Demi-God
    early in a tourny or if I'm up about 100 BBs I'll limp and maybe call a small raise. Later in the tourney I'll fold em, unless I'm down to about 5 bbs then I'll shove.

Experienced Member
    It really depends on a number of variables here, Assuming a 9 handed game and a tournament setting you have to know what the stack size to blind ratios are. For example early on in an mtt with low blind to high stack size I like to limp with 44 hoping to flop a set with them. Generally speaking though you should fold 44 in early position. Trust me. You are not the only one who loses with 44. Small pocket pairs are pretty weak hands for early position. In regards to losing with jj all the time. Welcome to the club! JJ is a tough hand to play.
    Last edited by weewayz; 12-12-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Insert user title here RichardBachman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NuGHuFFeR View Post
    Look up set mining on Google, or with the search feature on one of these forums.
    Your question very broad, and can't really be answered as asked. You don't always or never do anything in poker.
    Basically with low PPs you want to see a cheap flop and fit or fold whether you hit your set or not
    This.