Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70874.75

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggles

Struggles

I continually struggle to maintain a decent win rate. Perhaps I really am a losing player, but I never can tell for sure. I have built several bankrolls through solid consistent play. I have also decimated said bankrolls when I get bored and tilted. Typically what happens is i'll get tired of folding, slowly losing small amounts, and not winning pots/sessions. I'll eventually start to push the action and become rather maniac-ish. I try to bluff too much, make calls on weak assumptions, and play hyper aggressive looking for a big double up.

Like I said I get bored with poker, not bored in nothing to do in life, bored that poker is the same thing everytime. There is a formula for solid winning play. The only time there is a change is when you face a decent opponent, but if you've demonstrated solid play most decent opponents avoid you. They want to go fishing not shark hunting.

I'm not sure what to do. I think I need to change my perception and learn when to not play poker. Last night was a good example. After playing for about 30 minutes in the client I got bored with it. Instead of stopping I ended up playing terrible pushing the action looking to gamble. Someone on here was a fortunate recipient of my PO pts, use them well.
    When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.

PokerOwned Veteran
    when you dont know how to stop playing, when you dont feel in good mood, there is something wrong..

Elite PokerOwned Member Rellik419's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkowboys View Post
    I continually struggle to maintain a decent win rate. Perhaps I really am a losing player, but I never can tell for sure. I have built several bankrolls through solid consistent play. I have also decimated said bankrolls when I get bored and tilted. Typically what happens is i'll get tired of folding, slowly losing small amounts, and not winning pots/sessions. I'll eventually start to push the action and become rather maniac-ish. I try to bluff too much, make calls on weak assumptions, and play hyper aggressive looking for a big double up.

Like I said I get bored with poker, not bored in nothing to do in life, bored that poker is the same thing everytime. There is a formula for solid winning play. The only time there is a change is when you face a decent opponent, but if you've demonstrated solid play most decent opponents avoid you. They want to go fishing not shark hunting.

I'm not sure what to do. I think I need to change my perception and learn when to not play poker. Last night was a good example. After playing for about 30 minutes in the client I got bored with it. Instead of stopping I ended up playing terrible pushing the action looking to gamble. Someone on here was a fortunate recipient of my PO pts, use them well.
    I go through this a lot. I just end up taking a couple of days off. That tends to help. I don't like playing, just to play.

Library Master Champion eqgh5uea's Avatar
    Go shark hunting. It CAN get boring if the difficulty is wrong. Remember that money is an idea and as soon as it becomes a representation of said idea(s), it loses meaning.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours; two ships, two brigs, one schooner and one sloop." --- O.H. Perry

PokerOwned Master
    I know what you mean and I think that when you get bored, you should do something else. You aren't playing your best poker anymore and the fact that you keep playing even though you are bored, shows that you value profit or a winning session as a measurement of your skill. The reality is that some days you are going to just be losing, no matter how good you are. I read an article that talked about not even looking at your bankroll and just playing poker. I think we get too caught up in trying to make money and lose our enjoyment in the game itself. I think if you return back to your love for the game, then you'll play better.

Ive had many people tell me that when you hit a cooler then you play through it......I guess thats what makes everyone have their own style and play ethic. GL

WELL KK maybe play turbo, you play quicker

Quote Originally Posted by tturne01 View Post
    I know what you mean and I think that when you get bored, you should do something else. You aren't playing your best poker anymore and the fact that you keep playing even though you are bored, shows that you value profit or a winning session as a measurement of your skill. The reality is that some days you are going to just be losing, no matter how good you are. I read an article that talked about not even looking at your bankroll and just playing poker. I think we get too caught up in trying to make money and lose our enjoyment in the game itself. I think if you return back to your love for the game, then you'll play better.
    This is a good perspective. Something I need to keep in mind because I can admit that I directly link making money with skill. While I still believe that if you make money you are obviously a better player, in the short term this can be quite deceiving.

My new focus is to really play poker when I want to and play for fun. I am trying to avoid situations where I know i'm not in a good mindset.
    When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.

Elite PokerOwned Member
    Start with enough of BR. freeroll it till maybe 150 then start small and slow! patience and discipline will make it grow... even if its slow and steady

Quote Originally Posted by kingkowboys View Post

The formula for winning isnt the same everytime you play online. No one has the game mastered. When you get bored , right at that minute you become a losing player. You know what it takes to be a winning player but get bored and start spewing knowing your bored. If you cant play for more then 20 minutes without getting bored then maybe poker is NOT for you. Poker is a game of patience and unless your only going to play 20 minutes at a time(ring games) your going to stay a losing player. Im sure poker isnt the only thing that bores you after a short period of time either, i bet your a channel flipper too lol. None of this is meant to be mean but you seem to know what your problem is but at the time refuse to act accordingly. Try doing other stuff while playing poker if you get bored that easily, like checking emails, doing facebook, something that occupy's your mind. Hope you find something that helps!
    Failing to Prepare is Preparing to fail : John Wooden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast