albecker123 raised to 15000
    maldeez folds
    yougotmerged77 calls 15000
    ShipitBrah folds
    EyeBetPot folds
    nismo3117 is All In
    kingqueennj folds
    albecker123 is All In

So, a guy who I didn't have much table time with raises to 15,000 or 3x the BB from UTG, I opt to just call with a 110k stack for 15k leaving me with 95,000. You're probably thinking, what? You're supposed to ship right there. I disagree and part of it was because we were nearing the final table. Okay, anyways it gets around to a very LAG player who shoves for a little more than what I have, and the original raiser INSTA CALLS

I ended up folding, and would of spiked a king on the river to beat 88 and A9s and gain the chip lead. Do you think I played this hand wrong?

#NiggasInParis

PokerOwned God
    1) how does the 95k stack compare to the average chip stack?

2) how close to the bubble?

3) is it a fast tourney or a slow tourney?

question 1 ... if 95k is well below average then pushing and praying is more automatic

question 2 ... right on the bubble then folding with 19 BBs is reasonable

question 3 ... if blinds raise fast or slow determines how much time 19 BBs will last. Say the blinds double to 10k/5k in the next hand (some turbos do that) then your 19 BBs just turned into 9.5 BBs

PokerOwned Demi-God
    i think im reraising him n snap calling, someone 3x'ing this late in tourney evidently doesnt have a clue.

PokerOwned God
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeelneg View Post
    1) how does the 95k stack compare to the average chip stack?

2) how close to the bubble?

3) is it a fast tourney or a slow tourney?

question 1 ... if 95k is well below average then pushing and praying is more automatic

question 2 ... right on the bubble then folding with 19 BBs is reasonable

question 3 ... if blinds raise fast or slow determines how much time 19 BBs will last. Say the blinds double to 10k/5k in the next hand (some turbos do that) then your 19 BBs just turned into 9.5 BBs
    1) Average chip stack was about 105-110,000 at the time so I would of been slightly below average after folding.
    2) We were already in the money, with 12 people left, but most of the money is at the final table.
    3) 10 min. levels, people were playing fast at the time because it was hand4hand.

Answer 1 ... Just slightly below average so I felt a call would of been my best option.
    Answer 2 ... In the money but nearing a final table with some big money. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the type of player to fold good hands for a pay jump , I play to win, but when I had no experience with the guy who had raised 3x UTG I didn't want to shove into a premium and race when I don't have to.
    Answer 3 ... Next level was 3k/6k so 19 bb's would of gave me 2-3 rounds to find a hand.

#NiggasInParis

PokerOwned Pro
    Well i mightve shipped it on the preflop raise. Depends on the stack sizes though. Depends how many chips the guy jams it for (if he was a short stack and the original raiser just called then id have jammed all-inon him). I some cases it's an easy fold but in some cases its a shove but I dont really get a feel for the situation without the stack sizes. Given your nearing the final table a good player like you doesnt really want to be flipping for your tournament life. Probably a good fold in the end.

PokerOwned Pro
    The big question here is, if you hadn't seen that you would have spiked a King on the river, or if nothing had come up at all, would you still be questioning that fold??? If not, then your just being results oriented which will just get you in trouble in future games if your thinking ohh that one time I folded and would have won on the river. That's when you end up shoving into Aces or Kings. There's nothing wrong with making a good fold, even if it turns out you would have gotten LUCKY. You clearly had enough behind to still play in the tourney, because I doubt you'd fold there if it meant crippling your stack. So way to save it for another opportunity with a lot less risk.

PokerOwned Pro
    What was the buy-in for this tourney? What was UTG's stack?

(Assuming these are competent players)
    Given your LAG read, the first ship looks like its going to be a squeeze a huge percentage of the time, so I wouldn't be too worried about him. Therefore, you just need to consider UTG's opening range, and which hands he is calling LAG's shove with. Do you think he is good enough to pick up on the fact that the LAG could be squeezing? Also, what were the pot odds for a call? Did you consider your implied future equity (how much more likely you are to win the tourney if you win this hand)?

PokerOwned Pro
    I hate calling to flip, if I am going to flip, I want to be the one shoving. Especially on the bubble, and even more so when I am ITM already. The spot you get put in by just flatting is why I would shove, maybe even just put in a small 3bet, depending on UTGs stack. I would consider flatting if i was on the button or in the cutoff, but that is read dependent, and also depends on how comfortable you are playing AK post-flop when you dont hit.

When I think it through and don't make an insta call,, I fold myself,,, if either have a pair I'm a dog,,, one has a pair good chance the other has a pair or has one or both of my over cards. Heard a saying somewhere. "It ain't about what you can win, but it's about what you can lose". Just my thoughts.
    " JUST KILLIN TIME,,, WAITING FOR TIME TO KILL ME,,,"

PokerOwned Pro
    If this was a cash game, that saying would be more appropriate wagon. Being a tourney makes the situation completely different. You are going to have to take risks eventually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast