Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70456.89

Poker: When Is It $ Enough$ ?

I personally can't seem to get enough of playing online but I will only play on average 5-6 MTT's per week (usually3 on the weekends). I am more of a "Live Poker" player than an "online player" so I try to limit the amount of time I play online. I'll often see posts on other forums written by members talking about how they need a "break from poker". We all suffer from downswings but how do we know when it's just are downswing- a temporary set back or if it's something deeper than that? Perhaps it's a leak in your game that can be easily exploited. It may just be burnout. Either way, have you ever taken a step back during a downswing to figure out WHY you are losing? Reviewing Hand Histories and online trackers can be helpful but sometimes there's something else missing.

How much time do you spend on your computer? When is the last time you did something other than play poker with your 2-3 closest friends in real life? I know a few people that make a living from playing online and unfortunately they haven't got much of a social life away from cyber space.

The majority of players though will blame "dumb luck" (variance) for their bad beats or they will lash out at other players blaming them for their loses. You can NOT control the way other's play. You can only control YOUR play. I will then see that same player who just experienced a "bad beat" or few do the worst thing you can probably do; 2 minutes later register for more tournaments.That's when I ask myself, how much is enough?

I came across this interesting article about playing online poker and thestatistics are surprising. A new study of gambling behavior that suggests players, especially beginners, win less money the more hands they play.

The findings, which came from a study of 27 million online poker hands, suggest that small stakes translate to more wins, while playing longer means you'll lose, occasionally by a whole lot.

According to Cornell University sociology doctoral student Kyle Siler, the findings show that "people overweigh their frequent small gains vis-a-vis occasional large losses, and vice versa."

The study, released online in advance of publication in an upcoming print issue of the Journal of Gambling Studies, also reports that pairs of small-numbered cards -- from twos to sevens -- are more valuable than pairs of eights, nines, 10s and Jacks for small-stakes players.

"This is because small pairs have a less ambiguous value, and medium pairs are better hands but have more ambiguous values that small-stakes players apparently have trouble understanding," Siler said.

Siler, a poker player himself, analyzed hands of No-Limit Texas Hold'em. "Riskiness may be profitable, especially in higher-stakes games, but it also increases the variance and uncertainty in payoffs," he said. "Living one's life, calibrating multiple strategies and managing a bankroll is particularly challenging when enduring wild and erratic swings in short-term luck and results."

It may be best to avoid playing when experiencing these downswings. Read more books & online strategies, learn a new game of poker, eg. Omaha or Razz. Before completely cleaning out your hard earned BR -take that break-just sayin.

Elite PokerOwned Member bishking's Avatar
    Is this a strategy section. LoL. So I'm curious, how much r u up in poker. Since you sound like a pro.

There's a strategy section in this forum?-Wonderful!! This post isn't one regarding strategy (although I'm thrilled you feel that this is a strategy post). This post is more geared more toward opinions regarding when people have had "enough of poker", when do they feel they should quit. I'm also glad you think I sound like a pro. I've written a few other posts here on this forum. I'm just not sure exactly what section I posted those in, maybe it was a section about poker IDK. I am new here and still learning to navigate my way around here.

PokerOwned God
    Quote Originally Posted by CRKURNUTZ View Post
    There's a strategy section in this forum?-Wonderful!! ...
    ummm that is debatable ... some good post here and there ... next to no HH post though

Quote Originally Posted by CRKURNUTZ View Post
    This post is more geared more toward opinions regarding when people have had "enough of poker", when do they feel they should quit....
    When you're tired or bored or generally anytime you don't/can't give it your full attention you should leave the game. Easier said than done...