Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70519.43

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poker Tells?

PokerOwned Pro

Poker Tells?

is there an easy way to find out what your own tells are in poker?

I have no tells, I am a raging donkey.............

20:58 <Poof> I would trade my husband for gisele
    18:37 <thepokerkid> @thepokerkid: and stop thinking about gay things

Elite PokerOwned Member bishking's Avatar
    Review your hand history

Seasoned Veteran
    live or online? online tells are only really timing and bet sizing, live can be other things and you won't really know unless someone tells you or you play in a televised event and see them for yourself.

Elite PokerOwned Member JLynn171's Avatar
    play with close friends then ask them after the game, or if ya can talk them into it like how the hell did u make that call sorta question and they may give up the info unknowingly

PokerOwned Master
    watch your hand history or bet size

Seasoned Veteran
    yes people have tells, but some give off fake tells. Youre a great player if you can determine whats real and whats fake.

PokerOwned Pro
    Video tape yourself, and watch it later. Or have people that you trust to be honest watch you and talk to you about it

Assuming you're talking about online, I echo the voice that says bet size and timing. If the pot is 290 and you insta-shove 800 in it, chances are your hand is polarized to air or a monster. However, if you're betting like beg me calls of 110 into the 290 pot, likely you want value. Of course, as you stake up and players get better, they will level each other and purposely go against these basic rules when appropriate. In your case, I'd stick to some percentages of the pot you never deviate from if you're going to bet. Aka, half the pot on the flop, 2/3 on the turn and 2/3 on the river, or whatever and only adjust if you are playing against several players or you think/know you can get more value or pick up the pot if for example someone doesn't get their straight draw odds. Just remember, until you stake up high enough, players tend to overvalue their hands and draws, so just play your hands fast and active and keep as constant pace on the timer as you can (even if it means wasting a few seconds after you have your mind made up, just not to deviate from what you've done). As you continue to see patterns of what sizes other people bet, try to analyze that within your own as well. Hand histories and replaying the hand from your opponent's point of view (even if you don't know their hole cards) are always helpful exercises. Good luck!

This book "Caro's Book of Poker Tells: The Psychology and Body Language of Poker" by Mike Caro is considered by man to be the best book out there on tells. There's a newer one one called "Read'em and Weep" I've heard of, I forget who it's by though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast