Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70478.42

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PokerOwned Demi-God

Ace High Straight on the Board

Is there any kind of unwritten rule in poker where if the board shows an ace high straight you don't bet into it? I mean what's the point, it's an obvious split (assuming no flush possibilities). Do you bet just to try to catch the other guy off guard?

There's no unwritten rule that you shouldn't bet into the other guy. I think it's a good practice to bet it because sometime people aren't paying attention or get disconnected. I remember one guy in a live limit game almost folded his hand to me in that situation. He sat there thinking about it, and actually never seemed to realize we were both playing the board even with everyone talking around him.

Seasoned Veteran
    I mean the worst thing that can happen if you bet into it or make a large bet is that they can call you and you guys split it up so it cant hurt.

I know in the WSOP, there is a rule that if you're last man, last action, holding the absolute nuts, you MUST bet. I think there was a little clause though stating that if the nuts is actually on the board, this no longer applies.

Not sure if this answers your question.

Seasoned Veteran
    You have to take rake into consideration. If betting into the board increases the rake, assuming the rake hasn't been capped at that point, it might be best over the long run just to check. If you think that your opponent has been drinking though, always bet.

PokerOwned Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gpahren View Post
    Is there any kind of unwritten rule in poker where if the board shows an ace high straight you don't bet into it? I mean what's the point, it's an obvious split (assuming no flush possibilities). Do you bet just to try to catch the other guy off guard?
    yes u want make he believe,make doubts, surprise.maybe he folds

Why is this even a question? DUH!!! just bet a low amount and hope he dc's or something like that.

Experienced Member
    I always bet it cause of the idiots that dont see it

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post
    You have to take rake into consideration. If betting into the board increases the rake, assuming the rake hasn't been capped at that point, it might be best over the long run just to check. If you think that your opponent has been drinking though, always bet.
    At a ring game that's actually true. That's a really good point.

Experienced Member
    Ive been in a few situations a large bet has made the other player, probably not paying attention, fold in this situation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast