Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $64301.09

Elite PokerOwned Member IWASLION's Avatar

HU SNG strategy. (WARNING - actual poker talk)

Anyone familiar with the 'Martingale' betting strategy? If so, have you ever tried to apply it to HU SNGs?

i.e. play a $1 HU. If you win, bank the $1. If you lose play a $2 HU. If you lose that play a $5 HU, and so on till you win then return to the $1 level, or whatever level you use as a starting point; I prefer starting at $5 so that my profit each winning round is $5 instead of $1. I have yet to need to play higher than the $20 level to recoup my $5 investment on losing rounds.

Ah, the old blackjack strategy.

I actually had a theory like this years ago that involved the 4 person shootout HU sngs. I know it's one more game each time, but when you win the last game in the "chain" as it were, you profit a lot more. I had this all written out, if I can find the math behind it I'll share.

Quote Originally Posted by rivdee View Post
    Ah, the old blackjack strategy.

I actually had a theory like this years ago that involved the 4 person shootout HU sngs. I know it's one more game each time, but when you win the last game in the "chain" as it were, you profit a lot more. I had this all written out, if I can find the math behind it I'll share.
    Im interested in seeing that for sure.

PokerOwned Veteran
    yes i think it would work if you have a deep bankroll... i would watch out though about playing more games when you are loosing and not playing your best. I used to start 8 DON games in a session and reg for another round only when i win a game. That way I am playing more when I am playing correctly and in right state of mind and less when i am losing. even if i lose to just a bad beat, it still affects me a little and puts me on titlt and i have found in long run for me its best to not reg for another and take a break.

One thing to keep in mind here is that the consequences of a down streak are exponentially bad for your bankroll. For example, if you win, say, 60% of the HU's you enter (that percentage will probably change with the stakes, but let's say 60% for simplicity), losing 5 games in a row will happen about 1% of the time. During that 1%, you will lose: ~$5 + ~$10 + ~$20 + ~$50 + ~$100 --> so like $200 after rake.

Also, you really have to being playing your absolute best game or a bad day of play can really compound on itself.

I guess all I'm saying here is to be careful to how you approach this if you want to try this. That's just my two cents. I'm sure you've thought about all this anyways tho.
    Last edited by jasonv12; 06-23-2013 at 06:33 PM.

PokerOwned Demi-God
    Yea the old blackjack theory! I wanted to do this with blackjack in vegas everyday!! 1 day ur gonna hit that streak that kills ya!

Quote Originally Posted by jasonv12 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind here is that the consequences of a down streak are exponentially bad for your bankroll. For example, if you win, say, 60% of the HU's you enter (that percentage will probably change with the stakes, but let's say 60% for simplicity), losing 5 games in a row will happen about 1% of the time. During that 1%, you will lose: ~$5 + ~$10 + ~$20 + ~$50 + ~$100 --> so like $200 after rake.

Also, you really have to being playing your absolute best game or a bad day of play can really compound on itself.

I guess all I'm saying here is to be careful to how you approach this if you want to try this. That's just my two cents. I'm sure you've thought about all this anyways tho.
    This is why I do not play 6 or 9 handed SNGs like this. Fortunately for me my win % is much higher than 60% in HUs. I have yet to lose more than the first 2 before winning the third, but the possibilty does exist even if it unlikely. My theory is that this bad run could happen in any wagering system with detrimental effect, but I believe this strategy actually limits my exposure to variance.