Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $63710.34

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    just shove em pre any position. ppl nowadays will put you on AK, and call with their pocket 7's... fckn idiots
    RANGER (B2B HU LOYALTY GAME CHAMP! DO YOU REMEMBER THOSE NOOB? NO, NO YOU DON'T!)

PokerOwned Veteran
    The only way to play aces online is by going all in pre flop and odds are that you will still lose. I would rather go all in with 55 than AA

Seasoned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitjunky View Post
    there are many ways to play aces - even a few reasons to fold them preflop - but you are too inexperienced for those right now
    my theory- unless there is action before you bet - is that you should ALWAYS be raising the same amount with every hand that you are raising with...this way your opponents cant get a read on how strong your hand is - BECAUSE if they know you have aces they will probably fold - I like 3x the big blind. Poofy has a good thought though with people acting before you do - if you get a lot of callers before you act (3 or more) then your raise should be slightly higher to weed out the riff-raff
    Unfortunetly, this is not good advice. you should not always raise the same preflop. there are reasons to vary your raises based on table dynamics and pot size manipulation. additionally, the "norm" is 4bb + 1 for each limper.

however, sometimes you'll want to open for a lot less or a lot more, as well as vary your preflop re-raise hammering. it is situational, not pure formulaic

PokerOwned Pro
    It depends on how many people call and what turn you are on betting. If you're early, I'd just call or raise 1x. If you're later in turn and there's a lot of people that are playing, i'd raise 3x+, if there's just one person in it, I'd call and try to get him to raise you. Then on the flop, if a flush draw is available (ie, 2 cards are suited) I'd go all in just in case. The main thing is, just don't scare the money away too early, but make them make a call before their hand is revealed. I'm no pro, but I've misplayed them enough to know that it sucks to rake a small pot off AA

How NOT to play aces:

Watched my friend lose $500 with AA in a huge pot at his bachelor party at the Mohegan Sun Poker Room. He raised preflop out of position, got two callers. On a rainbow flop of 85Q, he CB's. Both stacks go all-in and he calls. other two players flip over 88 and 55, river is a 5 - lucky sob! The guy with 88 got up and stormed out!!

PokerOwned Veteran
    Phil Helmuth says that you should play high pairs 70/30. 3 and 4 betting 70% of the time and flatting 30% of the time. Now, in freerolls I tend to reraise 90-95% of the time because it will cause a lot of people to shove with inferior hands (due to inability to play mid level hands properly).

PokerOwned Demi-God DocHo11idaze's Avatar
    AA preflop play
    [ ] shove
    [ ] Open with pot size raise
    [X] Fold preflop

Just to clear up the venting in chat when it gets cracked of course
    Turtleboooy: lol when i come on i think f*** that Doc guy but i dont know why...haha

Elite PokerOwned Member
    Go all in preflop lol so they dont catch somethin stupid!

EddieTorr
    Hellmuth is right about this. The main thing is you don't want to play the same hand the same way every time.

This is an age old question in poker but it depends on many dynamics including the players at the table. I have always found that the best approach is to try to control the action and get to a flop with them and then go from there on your decision making.

Good Luck with your adventures in poker.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast