Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $62373.79

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experienced Member

Why do people check raise so much?

`Ive noticed that alot of bad players check raise, because they have no post flop skills... even good players who lack great post flop skills like me, check raise cuz they afraid to continue on with the hand vs a dominant player for example me.

Elite PokerOwned Member WECpoker's Avatar
    I check raise all the time......part of me

Experienced Member
    It doesnt apply to all, and I do it too, to a point. But when its obvious that a player is gonna do it, it gets irritating.
    I in no means am saying all players that do it are bad or that its not a valuable play in the game. But it seems some players rather check raise then bet out for fear that if they bet out and get raised they will not know what to do next.

Some players assume checking = weakness and will spring into action into any time we check. If I have all big hands locked up or if they rarely have a hand on the board present, we can't get value from them by value betting, so why not check and let them bluff?

Elite PokerOwned Member WECpoker's Avatar
    It is in my soul

Quote Originally Posted by wcpepsi1 View Post
    It doesnt apply to all, and I do it too, to a point. But when its obvious that a player is gonna do it, it gets irritating.
    I in no means am saying all players that do it are bad or that its not a valuable play in the game. But it seems some players rather check raise then bet out for fear that if they bet out and get raised they will not know what to do next.
    I made a float play on the flop, then check raised the turn with air play against a good player a couple days ago because I knew that the board never hit them and I'd already seen them play monster pairs differently earlier, but I had no made hand myself. Reasons come up.

It works more in low stakes game of course though.

Experienced Member
    By checking to let them bluff... that is assuming you or who ever is Hero knows they are ahead.. some of these players check raise, really not having a rationale behind the check raise...

By checking to let them bluff... that is assuming you or who ever is Hero knows they are ahead.. some of these players check raise, really not having a rationale behind the check raise...
    Well that's different. I'm just saying I personally check raise often and those are some good conditions where check raising makes sense.

Experienced Member
    But in low stakes players are playing there cards more then what others may have, and not putting to much thought into the overall sitaution of the hand. And are more likely to call with hands that a avg. to good player may fold more often then not. Top pair even mid pair to a donk, bad player is the nuts. Knowing a person is weak is good... but when u try to push a calling station or donk off top pair which is near impossible it back fires.... You can know someone is really weak.. but in them spots u need to have a hand cuz they arent going to fold. I do understand both your reasoning though.

Check raising just seems to be more prevelant recently, also I do believe some players check raise because they wanna end a hand right then and there and go no further. Because the art of post flop play is lost.

Flat betting out when you hit a flip or miss it, is a lost art. Id say back when i started playing in 02 it was alot more prevelant.

But in low stakes players are playing there cards more then what others may have, and not putting to much thought into the overall sitaution of the hand. And are more likely to call with hands that a avg. to good player may fold more often then not. Top pair even mid pair to a donk, bad player is the nuts. Knowing a person is weak is good... but when u try to push a calling station or donk off top pair which is near impossible it back fires.... You can know someone is really weak.. but in them spots u need to have a hand cuz they arent going to fold. I do understand both your reasoning though.

Check raising just seems to be more prevelant recently, also I do believe some players check raise because they wanna end a hand right then and there and go no further. Because the art of post flop play is lost.

Flat betting out when you hit a flip or miss it, is a lost art. Id say back when i started playing in 02 it was alot more prevelant.
    You're making some good conclusions, but try to think deeper about it. What's your goal in each hand? To get the most value when you're ahead and to lose the least value when you are behind. In cash games, that's all.

A player who can't fold, great I would never check raise bluff them, but when I had a set or something, bam their stack is mine. A player who is weak tight, but almost too able to fold to pressure is almost as bad. A check raise bluff with a flush draw or open ended straight draw, or even on a low board that never hit their range, is totally within reason. It's really about what is most profitable in each spot against each player. That's how to beat micro stakes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast