Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $63385.2

Lightbulb PS3 Updates damaging hardware?

About a month ago there was a system update required for the playstation 3. After updating I have had nothing but problems with freeze ups and disc not being recognized. I called tech support with the error code and they offered to "fix" it for $99.
    The issue seems to be related to blue ray disc only as I have rented several movies from redbox during the past month and every dvd worked fine but none of the blue rays worked. Ironically the games themselves are blue rays.

Particularly BF3 refuses to boot up and on the rare occasion it reads the disc and starts I can play one online match before it freezes, but more often than not; once it starts I will be able to play online but have no weapons. It shows my ammo count on the hud but no weapon in my hands and no firing ability, no knife and no grenades, even though I can change weapons, i.e. when switching to grenade launcher the crosshairs change but still no firing capability.

I can however fire weapons from vehicles, once I even got on the back of a dirt bike (I'm a premium member) and as a passenger could fire a gun. This is bs since I haven't even got to enjoy the new "End Game" I paid for. All said and done I have over $140 invested in BF3 and EA refuses to do anything about it either. I sent them pics of the disc with not a single scratch or smudge on it and they said mail it in with a check or money order for $20 and I'll get a new copy.

I completely believe my PS3 problems stem from that last system update. The problem is mostly related to BF3 and Blue Ray movies. Most of my other games work fine but are starting to freeze up too. One of my sons games (also BR) works every time, then I put in BF3 and it refuses to recognize the disc period.

I'm about done with Sony and EA altogether. I worked for a company that shall remain nameless here but they were prosecuted 20 years ago for planting bugs into their software to trigger break downs in the systems they built. Which they would then "service" for astronomical fees and hourly rates!

Anyone else out there having problems with PS3 games or BR's since updating?

To update the situation; My Playstation was working fine, then we got a Ben 10 game for my son and now it works fine but PS wont play any other games or Blue Rays!? WTF Sony and BTW thanx for all the support EA; u both suk in my book.
    I've had to buy 4 PS3's already due to the horrible disc reader failures since Sony puts the cheapest crap they can find into their electronics. I baby my stuff; the latest PS3 has had its own laptop cooling pad to sit on since I bought it 3 yrs ago, its never gotten too hot, I keep the air vents clear of dust and keep the software up to date. So WTF Sony?

It strikes me funny; Stuff made before plastics came along will work when its well over 100 yrs old but my Sony Playstations only last 2 or 3 years and I have to buy a new one? I'm really pissed at Sony and EA since the game I play most is BF3 and have premium and everything, then my stuff fails right as the last and agreeably the best ADD ON (End Game) was coming out!?
    Last edited by SyKoChiller; 04-03-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Seasoned Veteran
    Working in tech support (computers though, not consoles) I've never heard of any software being able to damage hardware, other than urban legends regarding viruses from way back in the day, and even those seemed to be closer to causing data corruption rather than hardware errors. You said you've had it for three years, it could be a matter of the hardware simply wearing out. Sony does seem to be susceptible to disk read errors in their hardware. Your best bet I would think would be to check with your local used game stores. Many of them will fix it just as well for far less than the manufacturer.

Elite PokerOwned Member
    These companies are successful that offer to fix, but ya the ps3 is old and will be discontinued in the near future

Quote Originally Posted by Deucelamron View Post
    causing data corruption rather than hardware errors. You said you've had it for three years, it could be a matter of the hardware simply wearing out. Sony does seem to be susceptible to disk read errors in their hardware. Your best bet I would think would be to check with your local used game stores. Many of them will fix it just as well for far less than the manufacturer.
    I do have some files which say "Data Corruption" and Sony will fix it for $100, but as I said it is the 4th one Ive bought already and with the PS4 on the horizon which will not be backward compatible; I'm not ready to spend the $. I had the same problems with the Ps2 and 1 ( I owned several of each ) Granted my systems get a lot of use, its been used for Netflix for the most part of the last 3 years. I keep things cool and keep air flow to the boards so there is really no excuse besides manufacturer error or poor design.
    Last edited by SyKoChiller; 04-03-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Also I forgot to mention; it has been "restored" and wiped clean several times but the problem persist, so I know it is hardware not software. Sony walked me through the process over the phone 2x already. I'm just bummed b/c I take excellent care of my things and they should last, but sadly electronics are made to have extremely short lifespans even though they are extremely harmful to the environment to produce.

Just to close this tread; The PS3 in question now only plays one game, the Ben 10 kids game mentioned above. Its works fine in every other respect; the online functions i.e; playstation store, Netflix, youtube, photogallery and music etc. It also plays DVD's but not Blue Ray. Oh well; hopefully sony will include better Blue Ray disc readers in the next gen PS4.