Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70841.68

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knight-Lieutenant

How i lose in tournys

Im always just ahead of the game, but during late time in the tournys, while literally right before the money, I face a guy with equal cash as me. "Example, i had 160k, he had 160k, everyone else with like 70k or less, we were the top 2." The flop came, it was something like 2d jd qd ,
    Man here i was commited to my freaking jacks,
    Whenever i see a guy with so much money i always assume he bluffs when he can, and i was just so freaking commited,
    i put in 4k,
    he raises 30k
    i quickly call,
    turn card: something idk but it doesnt matter
    4k, ( my first mistake, i should have put in at least 12k but since i was so committed probably 20k minimum, and here by the way i was totally out of position)
    he raises all in( about 70k, which will put me all in)
    (my hearts racing here)
    I call like a doucebag with my measley 2 jacks,
    he shows the diamonds
    I come in about 12th place from a tournament starting with 400 people
    If I just waited until i was at average chips with everyone I would have been in sitting at 4th place, but i lost my self control,
    i won a dollar
    and tilted on two 60 cent sngs after and lost it all
    I probably wouldnt have done this if he wasnt such a good player. He had so much money i figured he could have been bluffing, but it was a pretty dumb move, he had me beat, and there was no reason for him to make a bluff like that, after i quick called his 30k bet on the flop, i could just keep writing and writing. ugh, just going to try tommorow

Library Master Champion eqgh5uea's Avatar
    Play the player 1st.

If he plays flushes then he probably calls everyhand knowing he'd rather have the nuts and win 110% or 115% of his money back and lose in the meantime.

The hardest thing I have trouble with IS isolating ppl when I come into a new table from a MTT. I guess he isolated you from the crowd and hit his cards.

I just played a Party Poker freeroll and the guy was compaining that I was going all-in with 50% bluffing and 50% fast-rolling, but the player image I created from losing a quantity of small hands and winning the big payouts was worth risking the cash in the 1st place.

My advice: pay him off a couple times and count your losses as a way of building a new strategy---meaning, if he IS what you posted him to be, then you CAN win big from him---or not...
    Last edited by eqgh5uea; 07-25-2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason: English: forgot word 'is.'

Sergeant
    a good rule of thumb is too avoid players who can hurt your chipstack late in a tourney.sometimes its better to fold to a raise even with a decent hand.when i stick to this,i usually place better.when its down to 3-4 plaYERS,I AM AGGRESSIVE with ace anything or 2 cards with paint.

Knight-Lieutenant
    yeah ok, that sounds good, ill keep that in mind thx

PokerOwned Master
    you should adjust your late tourney playing style if you keep having late tourney issues... ive seen you play - i recommend you play less hands and stop calling everything preflop and then the rest should take care of itself if you are a capable poker player
    Last edited by dbbc_0169; 07-26-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dbbc_0169 View Post
    you should adjust your playing style if you keep having late tourney issues... ive seen you play - i recommend you play less hands and stop calling everything preflop and then the rest should take care of itself if you are a capable poker player
    Winning 105% of your earnings back is a WIN, imho. Just keep grinding and you'll get there.

Knight-Lieutenant
    i call preflop when its a good price to call, if i put in 200 and someone raises to 600 well then im already in and i would be wasting money to fold unless i have good read, you play tommorow at 9? lets play together again.

PokerOwned Master
    just putting my two sense in, some constructive criticism is all.

Quote Originally Posted by dbbc_0169 View Post
    just putting my two sense in, some constructive criticism is all.
    Yup, the best is seeing the flop even if you have some good plrs who will attack your chances at seeing the turn and river.

I find the worst thing other than losing a bad beat is folding to an aggressive plr post-flop only to have ur pocket-savers come up.

PokerOwned Master
    if you guys think that seeing a large number of flops, even with bad/mediocre cards (if i'm understanding correctly), is the best way to make money in poker, you need to read a book, watch some poker on tv, or just stop playing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast