Total Free Money Earned

Redeems: $280,439

BTC Rate: $70874.75

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tips for when you're running ridiculously bad?

I am having the worst down swing I have ever had and all my reviewing shows I'm literally doing nothing wrong.

Over my last several sessions, my expected EV is +6761.2 bbs in all in situations, but I've actually netted a result of -8219.0 bbs, costing me slowly over half of my bankroll and forcing me to drop stakes twice. This literally should happen far less than 0.1% of the time.

I've lost with AA 14/19 preflop all in confrontations, with KK 13/16 preflop all in confrontations, QQ 15/18 preflop all in confrontations, JJ 14/19, etc. etc. in my last few sessions across various structures and table types.

Every other pair I seem to get seems to run into a bigger one. I can't seem to win a flip or avoid my opponent's draw, no matter what. It's just awful.

I am a big believer in that poker is strictly a game of results. And in the long run, results will prevail, but this is just an excessively crappy run of cards and I'm having a really hard time coping with it and so is my bankroll.

The last few nights, I've caught myself getting dangerously close to tilting and rather than continuing to play, I've just gone to wsop.com and watched random final tables. I'm about to do that again. But that still is a short term solution to a broader problem.

I just really don't feel I am doing anything wrong. In fact, I think I'm playing better right now than during my last upswing. It's maddening.

I'm a little bit of a whiner at times when things don't go my way, admittedly and clearly I'm getting to that point too so sorry if this comes out as me whining, but that isn't my intention in this post, although venting is often helpful.

Does anyone have any advice past just taking a break or how things will eventually get better or any other obvious stuff like that?
    Last edited by jasonv12; 06-07-2013 at 02:53 AM.

Well, maybe your so far into the math your forgetting an important part....reads? I know it sounds silly, but every time I get too deep in whats "mathematically" correct, my play suffers horribly. Sure, maybe it's math correct to do something, but whats the opposition like? Have they got a read on you maybe? Have you become predictable? God knows, with all the tracking software out there, enough hands with someone can give your competition a dose of what you are doing, when and why.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonv12 View Post
    Don't say take a break please, if anything I want to play more to work my way out of this (slowly -- I wouldn't chase losses). I'm not exactly tilted, just frustrated. I am having the worst down swing I have ever had and all my reviewing shows I'm literally doing nothing wrong.

Over my last several sessions, my expected EV is +6761.2 bbs in all in situations, but I've actually netted a result of -8219.0 bbs, costing me slowly over half of my bankroll and forcing me to drop stakes twice. This literally should happen far less than 0.1% of the time.

I've lost with AA 14/19 preflop all in confrontations, with KK 13/16 preflop all in confrontations, QQ 15/18 preflop all in confrontations, JJ 14/19, etc. etc. in my last few sessions across various structures and table types.

Every other pair I seem to get seems to run into a bigger one. I can't seem to win a flip or avoid my opponent's draw, no matter what. It's just awful.

I am a big believer in that poker is strictly a game of results. And in the long run, results will prevail, but this is just an excessively crappy run of cards and I'm having a really hard time coping with it and so is my bankroll.

The last few nights, I've caught myself getting dangerously close to tilting and rather than continuing to play, I've just gone to wsop.com and watched random final tables. I'm about to do that again. But that still is a short term solution to a broader problem.

I just really don't feel I am doing anything wrong. In fact, I think I'm playing better right now than during my last upswing. It's maddening.

I'm a little bit of a whiner at times when things don't go my way, admittedly and clearly I'm getting to that point too so sorry if this comes out as me whining, but that isn't my intention in this post, although venting is often helpful.

Does anyone have any advice past just taking a break or how things will eventually get better or any other obvious stuff like that?
    play more NOW and lose more............if you are losing at something any human with a brain stem would take a break..............

20:58 <Poof> I would trade my husband for gisele
    18:37 <thepokerkid> @thepokerkid: and stop thinking about gay things

Quote Originally Posted by Drywallman3 View Post
    play more NOW and lose more............if you are losing at something any human with a brain stem would take a break..............
    No you're right.. that's just not the type of advice I'm looking for. I did quit for the night.

This may sound odd, but back in the day when I could feel an unlucky run coming on (or was in one) in hold'em, I'd switch games and play razz. There were more players/sites back then so it was easier. But my reasoning was, Im gettin shitty cards, so I may as well play the game that ya win with the worst. Although you're not getting the shitty cards, you're getting outdrawn, a change of pace in a different game for a while might just break the curse. Ya never know unless you try.

Hope it turns around soon for ya
    22:52 <onehotdame> pull my finger
    02:51 <onehotdame> ill miss u when u go
    14:53 <onehotdame> gotta callthePOD people
    12/17/2014 16:29 <onehotdame> your a bit of an ass when yo high

Actually, "I want to play more to work my way out of this (slowly -- I wouldn't chase losses)" is chasing losses. That's what everyone who does chase says. You got's to give that brain a break, or you will break your brain.

No you're right.. that's just not the type of advice I'm looking for. I did quit for the night.
    as a poker player we do a lot of different things to ease the pain.

Now I do see players who do admit and some do not go play fun steps at Carbon to fill the void and not lose any money doing so but still play some poker.

I see other just call it quits and do other things non poker related

and there is me I admit I go back to Stars and find old friends and pick up a ring game and catch up on old times, and yes it is PLAY MONEY but it is with my old Star peeps

20:58 <Poof> I would trade my husband for gisele
    18:37 <thepokerkid> @thepokerkid: and stop thinking about gay things

Quote Originally Posted by MichMan View Post
    This may sound odd, but back in the day when I could feel an unlucky run coming on (or was in one) in hold'em, I'd switch games and play razz. There were more players/sites back then so it was easier. But my reasoning was, Im gettin shitty cards, so I may as well play the game that ya win with the worst. Although you're not getting the shitty cards, you're getting outdrawn, a change of pace in a different game for a while might just break the curse. Ya never know unless you try.

Hope it turns around soon for ya
    That's so different. haha What a creative idea! I love razz too. Did that actually help?

That's so different. haha What a creative idea! I love razz too. Did that actually help?
    Well, it didn't hurt. But, I can't make any guarantees.
    22:52 <onehotdame> pull my finger
    02:51 <onehotdame> ill miss u when u go
    14:53 <onehotdame> gotta callthePOD people
    12/17/2014 16:29 <onehotdame> your a bit of an ass when yo high

PokerOwned Veteran
    A day or two with no poker what so ever (Sorry, I know you didn't want to hear it). Exercise if you aren't already. Then read a book, watch a video about poker strategy. Perhaps some software. Not to completely change your game but to identify if you have started to allow leaks into your game. Can certain situations be handled differently.

I know we are each different but when I tilt, sometimes it is an instatilt where I get impatient and I start pushing really aggressive and maybe donk of more chips than normal. For me this is rare and usually doesn't last to long. (As long as my stack lasts.)

However, the really dangerous tilt for me is a slow chronic tilt. One that starts altering my game play. Makes me more passive. Stops me from protecting my hands because I start trying to play low ball to prevent myself from going bust. Not betting the right amounts for value. Allowing people to make their hand at to cheap a price. Calling off to much when I'm not sure.

No doubt the "all in" suck outs hurt but they are easy to identify. In my opinion the slow leaks are more dangerous because they are a constant bankroll drain that can be tricky to spot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast